Chapter 37: Breaking Hearts

Fa Zhen didn't put up a fight with the Imperial Guards. Her strength had been immensely weakened, and she couldn't afford to cause any more trouble. They threw her into a cell deeper into the levels of the dungeon. She didn't even know that the royal palace had so many prisons! Humans were indeed scary. 

It wasn't going to be hard for her to escape, but she decided to wait for Zhang Yun to come. She was merely adopting the identity of a noble lady whom had no skills in combat. Fa Zhen found this to be incredibly inconvenient. 

In the Emperor's study, Zhang Yun was being counseled by his most trusted officials. Yuan stood at his side.

"Your Majesty, you must not release Noble Lady Mo from her hold!" One of them suggested.

"She was caught conspiring with the traitorous Mo Shao. The royal family has given this Mo family too many chances." Another voiced.

"Your Majesty must agree to the marriage with the Western Empire or else they will find it to be an act of disrespect!" A nasally old man said.

Zhang Yun raised his hand to silence the bickering. Turning to Yuan, he asked, "What do you think, Yuan?"

The other men looked over to Yuan, confused by the Emperor asking for a mere guard's opinion on such serious political matters. Of course, they didn't know that Yuan was an extremely agile strategist and the most trusted of Zhang Yun's people.

"Your Majesty." Yuan raised his hand to honor the Emperor and said, "This humble one thinks that you must not release Noble Lady Consort from the royal prison."

Zhang Yun was shocked by Yuan's words, his face contorted with anger and uncertainty. 

Yuan went on, "That is if you want to protect her. In the mean time, show the Western Empire that you do not tolerate disobedience. Do a big wedding with Princess Qiao En. Put on a show that you're willing to play by their rules. We will have an order out for the execution of General Mo. Once everything has settled, we will get Noble Lady Mo out."

Days went by and Zhang Yun didn't come to see her. Without water, Fa Zhen was unable to regain her strength. She sat lifelessly on the cold floor, huddling to herself. A prison guard came to her cell and placed a tray of old food on the ground. Rice flooded with water and a dish of fried greens. Fa Zhen had no appetite. She was too weakened to even pick up the chopsticks, and the selection of food they fed the prisoners was worse than nothing at all. 

"Zhang Yun... Where are you?" She whispered weakly.

Suddenly she heard a soft voice calling from outside her cell, "Xiao Dan Jiejie. Xiao Dan Jiejie!"

Fa Zhen looked over to see a hooded small figure. As the person lifted their hood to reveal a lovely pale face, Fa Zhen used whatever strength she had to meet them at the wooden poles.

"Your Highness, you can't be here!"

"I came to see if you're all right. It's been a month. I was worried about you."

"Even so! This is no place for a pregnant woman."

"I'm fine but look at you. What have they been doing to you? You look so dehydrated." She reached out to examine Fa Zhen's arms. "Here, drink some water."

Yu Ruo handed her a leather pouch filled with water. Fa Zhen meekly took the pouch and poured it into her mouth. Although it hurt to swallow, the water was so refreshing down her throat. She only gained a bit of strength, but her body felt lighter and barren of pain.

Fa Zhen asked, "What happened to my brother?"

"I..." Yu Ruo broke into tears, even though she promised herself she would try as hard as she could to remain calm.

"Yu Ruo! You have to tell me!" Fa Zhen shook the fragile Empress by the arm.

"He is set to be executed today."

"B-- But Zhang Yun wouldn't hurt him... He's family."

"I don't know what to do. I want to save your brother, but I don't know what to do."

"Where's Zhang Yun? Why hasn't he come? If I get out, I can persuade the court to not kill my brother."

"The Emperor... " The Empress was reluctant to reveal the truth.

"What is it?"

"He's preparing for his wedding to Princess Qiao En as we speak."

"No..."

He wouldn't. He wouldn't abandon me.