Chapter 29: Where We Started

"I ate too much," Fa Zhen said as she used her mouth to viciously tore a piece of Tanghulu off the wooden stick. Lagging behind Zhang Yun, she crouched her back rubbing her stomach, feeling like she was about to explode.

Zhang Yun paid her no mind, just meandering in between people as they smiled and happily converse with one another. This was the peace he wished to achieve during his rule. The capital city did not have a lot of struggles, but it was still heavily present with the poverty and crime rates. Zhang Yun not only wanted to become an Emperor who understood the predicaments of his citizens, but also do something to relieve their hardships.

Sensing the coldness from Zhang Yun, Fa Zhen quickly chewed her candy and ran to his side. She intertwined her fingers into his, touching their palms together. Zhang Yun tried to pull away, looking around in case people saw them.

"What are you doing?"

"Holding your hand."

Pushing away her hand, Zhang Yun said, "Well don't. People think I'm holding hands with another man."

Grabbing a hold of his hand again, Fa Zhen argued, "We'll just say I'm your younger cousin who needs a little guidance. It's not a problem."

Fa Zhen pulled Zhang Yun ahead. Seeing her expression of content, he remained compliant.

Pulling him down a familiar street, Zhang Yun's confused face became more and more worrisome. Fa Zhen had actually led him to Whimsical Flower Pavilion.

Letting go of his hand, she turned to him and said, "Surely, you'd like to spend some time here tonight."

"Why?"

Did she really just lead me to a brothel and expect me to have my way? Just what kind of concubine is she?

"You always do. During the festival, you come here and just get a room. You told me your mom was a musician here."

I-- I told her that?

"When she passed away, you were still very young. You came here to feel close to her right?"

Not answering, Zhang Yun averted his eyes.

"I understand you like to be alone on her death anniversary. So I'll go back."

She was about to take a step when mindlessly, Zhang Yun called out, "Wait! Would... you like to stay?"

Shocked at his words, Fa Zhen merely nodded silently. Not knowing what to expect, she followed after Zhang Yun inside. Up in the same room where they met each other for the first time, they sat at the table where a young waiter placed wine and snacks.

"So why is it that you don't set up a ceremony for your mother?"

Zhang Yun replied after pouring himself some wine, "His Majesty never did when I was young. He and my mother were not on good terms at the time of her death. It was an unspoken rule to never talk about her or mention the day of her death."

After finishing two jars of wine, Zhang Yun's word began to slur, leaving the sober Fa Zhen to look after him.

"You keep asking me," he hiccuped, "keep asking me why I don't tell you anything."

"Because you don't."

"I don't trust you that's why."

Sighing, Fa Zhen said, "I already knew that."

"I don't know... who I can confide in... growing up in the palace, my brothers hated me, the Emperor's other concubine thought I was useless, and the Empress... she'd just hope I would die... I can't trust anyone. If I relied on someone just once, I'd be pushed back down ten steps."

"But you trust Yuan."

"I don't trust anyone completely, but Yuan is a good person."

"If you don't trust anyone, for that matter really like anyone, why did you ask to meet me at Green Turtle Pond? Just why did we go through so much to just be with each other?"

"I wanted to marry you to gain royal favor. Your brother has done the country a great honor that the Emperor wished to have him marry Fifth Prince, but I... I got to you first."

"I was set to marry the Fifth Prince since the beginning and you knew?"

"Yeah."

"What we have... had, was any of it real, Yun?"

Concentrating on his cup of wine, he said, "I don't know."

I don't remember.

"Zhang Yun, you!" Taking a deep breath, Fa Zhen spared the drunk Zhang Yun from her fury.

"So you tell me. Do you want me to stay or go? Because I can disappear from here at any moment. Tell me you don't want me. Tell me you don't need me. Tell me... you don't love me. I will leave."

With droopy eyes, Zhang Yun looked at her, observing her eyebrows furrowed with a serious expression. He didn't know what to tell her. He wanted her, but at the same time he didn't know if he could. He didn't have the right. He didn't remember their memories and to pretend that he did made him uncomfortable. He was jealous of the past Zhang Yun who was able to love her.

Zhang Yun did not say a thing, which made the fiery Fa Zhen stood up to leave the room before she called it quits for good. She needed to think. She wasn't able to step outside the room as a drunken Zhang Yun grabbed her by the wrist and twisted her around. He closed the distance between them and planted his lips onto hers. As his tongue felt around the softness inside her mouth, his hands behind her back pushed their chests to touch, conceiving this image of her in the tub within his mind. Fa Zhen also couldn't help herself and held onto his waist, allowing him to suck out her breath. In his arms, she felt her powers intensified through her bones.