Chapter 23: Sisters In The Harem

"Zhang Yun... what's the matter with you?" Quivering with anxiety and bewilderment, Fa Zhen did not recognize this person holding a silver sword to her neck. But no doubt he was Zhang Yun! The man she loved. The man who would jump after her down a cliff thinking she was going to perish.

"You and your brother are really quite the wicked duo. One tries to withhold control over the imperial army, and another tries to assassinate me through my harem."

"What?"

"I won't let you stop my ascension to the throne, Mo Xiao Dan. Whatever past grievances you have with the Emperor has nothing to do with me. Make sure that brother of yours understand this."

He returned the sharp sword back into its sheath in one swift movement. Fa Zhen remained frozen, not completely understanding what was going on. How could the two of them be lovers one second and the next with Zhang Yun wanting to kill her? Just what had been going on with Shao Gege?

"Go back. I don't want to look at you right now."

Zhang Yun turned his back to Fa Zhen, holding his hands behind his back.

"Zhang Yun, why are you being like this?"

"I told you to leave." His voice loud and direct. The sound waves of his words made cuts on the surface of Fa Zhen's heart.

"Fine, I'll leave! Zhang Yun, you idiot." Even though Fa Zhen could easily subdue him with one hand, she decided to spare his mortal ego. It was a good idea she went back to cultivate for the time being and figure out what was going on with Shao Gege.

Fa Zhen couldn't sleep at all that night. Meditating underneath the bath water as the rose petals covered the surface, she couldn't shake off this feeling that something was wrong. She wondered if Shao Gege was doing fine. He had only returned from the borders shortly before Xiao Dan passed, and now Zhang Yun distrusted him. Shao Gege was able to defeat the invaders at the borders, so why was he being treated as the enemy?

The next day Yu Ruo came to visit Fa Zhen. With a small, swollen belly, she rested her hand on it, lightly petting. They sat in the pagoda out in the courtyard of Lai Xue.

"Crown Princess, may this lowly say something?" Yu Ruo's obnoxiousness maid asked, ready to make an indirect jab at Fa Zhen.

"Speak."

"Although Lai Xue resident is one of the most luxurious living quarters of the Crown Prince's harem, it seems the accommodations for daily living has declined. Not even a cup of tea was offered to honor your Highness' visit."

Fa Zhen rolled her eyes. Just what was Yu Ruo trying to pull this time?

"I didn't come to drink tea. I came to visit Noble Consort Mo. Ah Mei, you've overstepped."

Oh? So this is how she's playing it? The polite wife.

"It is true that Lai Xue haven't had the best materials these past few days. This Noble Consort apologizes to Crown Princess for the poor welcome." Fa Zhen bowed her head. Of course, she didn't care at all. She just wanted the Crown Princess to act out her play and leave.

Also I don't want to be accused of trying to cause your miscarriage by poison.

"Not at all," in a friendly manner, Yu Ruo placed a hand on top of Fa Zhen's, "Noble Consort Mo, it was I who has been acting poorly toward you."

Hmm? Where is she going with this?

"When I learned of Yun Gege's accident, I was worried that you had caused him harm. Yet, you were to one who saved his life. He never would have made it out of the water if it wasn't for you."

Well, that's true. Someone else should be thankful... Zhang Yun.

"To be honest, Yun Gege has never had a place for me in his heart. The only person I've ever seen him truly care for has been you."

Is she being serious?

"He only takes me for a sister. Even though he married me without love, he treated me well. While I--"

As though struggling to piece together her words, Yu Ruo's eyebrows wrinkled the space in between her eyes, her small mouth pulled thin.

"I hope that from now on, we can become closer. Be good sisters. Only if you'd like that as well. I know carrying this child has put a strain on your relationship with Crown Prince, and that I haven't shown you the best side of myself..."

Her warm hand lifted away from Fa Zhen's. Yu Ruo stared at Fa Zhen intently like a child asking for permission. Fa Zhen could tell she wasn't being malicious but did not want to easily give her the benefit of the doubt.

With a forced smile, Fa Zhen said, "Of course this child is a blessing upon you and Crown prince. I wouldn't dare to think otherwise. If Crown Princess would like to become closer, I have no objections. It is a good thing for the both of us."

Happily, Yu Ruo reached her arms over to hug Fa Zhen, who was not expecting their relationship of sisterhood to embark so soon.

"That's great! I'm so glad you think the same, jie jie."

"Um, haha. Right."

"I'll be going now then. I feel a little tired. I've been so lethargic since the pregnancy."

"Ah..."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't say those type of things around you."

Is she-- is she just trying to play with me?

"No, Crown Princess. It is fine."

"Okay..." Yu Ruo said looking distressed, "Well, I will leave now then."

"All right. Please get some rest." Fa Zhen stood up to bid Yu Ruo farewell.

As Yu Ruo walked away, she placed two hands on her stomach, tenderly rubbing the area. Just before exiting through the gate entrance, she turned around to Fa Zhen.

"Don't be too mad at Yun Gege. He... isn't trying to hurt you, Fa Zhen jie jie."