Chapter 12: Finally In Your Arms Again

Only a few hours had gone by, and the two were wandering the busy market street once again. Walking down a familiar path, Yi Chen's eyes met with the blaring, red lanterns of Whimsical Flower Pavilion. Her nails dig into her palms as her anxious heart remembered that night she had to outrun two full grown men. But it was also the night she met Zhang Yun.

"Whimsical Flower Pavilion..." Zhang Yun read the sign at the entrance.

"My Lord, about this place... have you talked about it with Young Lady?"

"I've tried but she doesn't like to think of that night. It's sad to think that the first time we met has become a painful memory for her."

Ah, so he hasn't brought it up. For the best.

"It's best to not think about it. Young Lady would prefer if you both forget that night. You and the Young Lady have the future to make more memories."

"That's right." Zhang Yun's eyes twinkled like stars glistening in the dark.

In silence, Zhang Yun walked Yi Chen to the Mo Manor. Their short conversations had only the name Xiao Dan and Young Lady involved, other than that there were no words shared between them.

"Thank you for accompanying me today." Zhang Yun reached into his sleeve and pulled out the charmed bracelet he had bought from before. He handed it to Yi Chen, who reluctantly accepted.

"This is for me?"

"No. It's for General Mo Shao to wear to the battlefield. Of course, it's for you," he joked. Yi Chen didn't find his words all that funny.

"Thank you, your Highness."

This is my compensation? Why not at least a few measly taels so I could treat myself to those delicious meals at the expensive restaurant again?

Fa Zhen's eyes opened slowly from her midday nap. She had fallen asleep in the Mo garden. All those memories from her past came to her in a dream state. She remembered the saturated red string tying together small, metal trinkets hanging around her right wrist. After burying Yi Chen, Fa Zhen had searched the room for the bracelet and found it under her pillow.

Once dark, Fa Zhen locked herself in her room. She was thinking perhaps it had been a mistake to continue living as Xiao Dan. Let the dead be dead, and let the living grieve.

Sensing movement of wind from her window, Fa Zhen mustered a force of energy in her palm, ready to strike. However, she could make out a familiar figure from the person who had entered her room.

"First Prince," Fa Zhen cried, exasperated.

"Xiao Dan." He pulled her into an embrace. This familiar scent of honey and tea, warmth of touch, softness of embrace, she wanted remain in his arms forever.

"Why have you only come now?" She pouted into his chest.

He chuckled, "I wanted to rush right over to you, but I had things to take care of."

"I wanted to see you."

Pushing her away from him with his strong hands gripping her shoulders, staring into her soul though her eyes.

"Why did you do that, Xiao Dan? You tried to hurt yourself! I'd thought I lost you forever."

"I'm sorry... I worried you."

I mean it was Lan Qiao who slipped off the slippery platform...

Zhang Yun's anger scattered after seeing the long face on Fa Zhen. With a sigh, he pulled her into another long embrace.

"It's my fault. I couldn't protect you. I-- I'm not strong enough."

Fa Zhen stayed quiet.

"The emperor has moved the marriage with you from the Fifth Prince to me but not without repercussions."

"I know. I cannot become your legal wife. You must take an official wife first."

Looking into Fa Zhen's eyes, Zhang Yun questioned, "You knew?"

"Yes. The Fifth Prince came over today to tell me. He just couldn't wait to rub it in my face." 

Zhang Yun let a smile shown on his tired face.

"He's always been so prideful. I should have been the one to tell you."

"It's all right. Anyhow, it's not news I'd like to hear from anyone..."

"Will you be all right? To be with me under these conditions?"

Fa Zhen gave him a reassuring look, "How could I not? I was willing to even die for you."

"Don't say that." He pinched her cheek.

"Ouch. How much longer are you going to stay? Can't you be a regular gentleman and visit me during normal hours? Climbing through my window like some pervert."

"Eh? You're the one who taught me to go over walls through the depths of the night."

"When have I ever?!"

"I'll go now. I'll come meet you another day." Zhang Yun released Fa Zhen from his arms and went back out the window as silently as he had came in. He thought to himself about how Xiao Dan was a little different from the other times they had met. She was much more guarded, but somehow that made her seem sweeter. Much like the night when they met at Whimsical Flower Pavilion.