Chapter 16: Into The Harem

Zhang Yun's light kisses tickled Fa Zhen's neck, his hands firmly holding her head in place. Fa Zhen was older than Zhang Yun by thousands of years, but the touch of a lover was very new to her. Lips to lips, tongue to tongue. Breathing heavily, Fa Zhen lied down flat on her back, leaving Zhang Yun to lead the intimacy.

"Xiao Dan," he called her sweetly in an amorous whisper. Like drums clapping together, next to her ears, Fa Zhen snapped out of her relaxed state. Pushing Zhang Yun off, she pulled her white undershirt together, sitting straight up, she scooted toward the pillows as the confused Zhang Yun sat on the opposite side of the bed.

"What's wrong?" Zhang Yun found it hard to control himself after indulging in kissing Fa Zhen's body. Breathing strongly, he awaited her response.

"I'm not ready."

"What?"

"I don't think I-- I don't want to yet."

"Okay... Can I ask why?"

"I just... It doesn't feel right."

Puzzled, Zhang Yun scoffed at the sudden change of heart, but he wasn't going to persuade her. Fa Zhen pulled the covers over her, closing her eyes hoping that sleep would come to her quickly. Zhang Yun, in a sensitive state, compressed his heated lust with the thought to instantly submerge himself in a cold bath.

"Yun, can you lie beside me?" Fa Zhen muttered under the covers.

His jilted heart succumbed to her request because in that moment he found her to be adorable and in need of comfort. Just what was going on in her mind? On top of the blanket, Zhang Yun lied stiffly like a log floating down a river.

"Do you want some blanket? Fa Zhen mindlessly offered.

"No thanks! I'm plenty hot right now." Zhang Yun gritted through his teeth.

"Oh..."

Falling asleep with ease, Fa Zhen wrapped her arm around Zhang Yun. She seemed to be dreaming pleasantly while Zhang Yun lied awake, sweating out his frustrations.

The next day with dark circles, Zhang Yun went to attend a political meeting and then to remain in his study for further preparations in becoming Emperor, digesting lessons on history and governing tactics. Fa Zhen knew that his schedule would become full with little time to spend with her. If only he had remain a prince with no ascension to the throne, they could have lived a little more freely.

"Noble Consort," a palace maid bowed to Fa Zhen. Zhang Yun had appointed the maid Xiao Tong to serve Fa Zhen along with ten other servants. Xiao Tong was to personally aid the Noble Consort with everything as well as teach her of palace rules.

"What is it?"

"Do you wish to go visit the Crown Princess?"

If I could avoid her for life, I'd think that would be best. You never know, women who fight their way into the royal palace are extremely cunning and always delivering sophisticated blows to those they feel are threatening to their position.

"Mmm. Why don't we take a walk? I'd like some fresh air," Fa Zhen said, walking out the bedchamber.

"Yes, Noble Consort."

The Crown Prince's resident itself was massive. With different areas of living quarters, Zhang Yun had bestowed onto Fa Zhen, the most luxurious living space, Lai Xue. The Crown Princess, Yu Ruo was definitely living in the second best residence.

Walking in the garden filled with beautiful flowers as if planted newly, Fa Zhen smelled the sweet scent in the breeze.

The one person she had tried to avoid walked right in front of her with light steps. Gracefully moving about the garden like a fairy in her flowing white dress. Yu Ruo was stunningly beautiful with doe-like eyes and small, cherry pink lips.

"Greetings, your Highness," Fa Zhen bent her knees.

With a serious face, Yu Ruo's soft voice ushered out, "So you're the concubine whom has coveted my husband?"

Ha. I knew it.

"On the night of our wedding, he doesn't even make an entrance to the bedroom, but I've heard he willingly crept into yours?"

Do you want me to deny it?

"I can understand that his Highness' passion, but you should not overstep the formal wife and come between a couple. That's just bad manners."

A smirk spread across Fa Zhen's face, "Crown Princess should understand that before the announcement of your betrothal to Crown Prince, my name had always been tied to his Highness. It's no secret that we had been lovers for years. Leading Emperor to even rescind my marriage to his brother. The one who came in between us, and much later, could only be you, your Highness."

"You--" the maid for the Yu Ruo stepped out to lecture Fa Zhen, but was stopped by Yu Ruo.

"I grew up with the Crown Prince. My grandfather has been Prime Minister and a close advocate of the Emperor since he gained the throne. I know a lot more about Yun Gege's past than you. He is to become Emperor, and the one to help him achieve that is me. Of course, he did want to marry you to gain favor with the Emperor because his Majesty dotes on your brother. But it doesn't look like that will last. I suppose we try to get along, being the first two women of the Crown Prince, whose harem will only continue to grow. As long as you know your place, there should harmony within the Crown Prince's palace."