Chapter 21: The Little Mermaid

"Zhang Yun! Zhang Yun, wake up!" A sobbing Fa Zhen lightly tapped the face of an unconscious Zhang Yun. 

The left side of his head had a stream of red running down from his hair. He had hit his head on the sharpness of the cliff on his way down. It took Fa Zhen a minute to dive deeper to retrieve his sinking body. Now they were both on the side of the lake with Fa Zhen hoping that Zhang Yun's life would not be in danger.

"Zhang Yun!"

With no response, she listened to his chest. A weak heartbeat, overflowing of water. She put pressure onto his abdomen, continually pressing the water out. Zhang Yun spat out a mouthful of water, awaking from his faint. 

"Xiao Dan... My head hurts," he groaned.

"You've hurt yourself from the fall. Why did you jump, you stupid, stupid, stupid..." Fa Zhen's heart raced once again as tears streamed down her face. The only person who could anger her to no end, but also the person who would risk his own life if she was in danger was none other than Zhang Yun, the man she loved. 

"I'll get you to the palace right away." 

"Okay..." Zhang Yun felt safe in the arms of his beloved. For the first time, he didn't mind his vulnerability in front of someone. His eyes fluttered, too tired to keep them open. Once again, he was swept away by sleep.

"Zhang Yun, wake up. Zhang Yun!" Fa Zhen called him, but no response. This time his head tilted lifelessly to the side. A startled Fa Zhen caressed his face, saying his name over and over, but his body appeared desolate and there was no response. An empty shell.

"No, no. I won't let you die. You can't die." 

Composing herself, Fa Zhen let Zhang Yun out of her embrace and placed him carefully onto the ground. Focusing on her inner cultivation, she eloquently curled her fingers into meditation. She exported the glowing light of her force into the body of Zhang Yun. Slowly, his pale face began to gain it's natural color. 

It's not enough... he's still not breathing. I'll have to give more.

Suddenly a surge of bursting veins made its way up Fa Zhen's mouth, and she spat out blood. She had given away too much of her cultivation. Out of her mouth, a small glowing pearl surfaced. Fa Zhen was far too weak to continue on passing along her cultivation that she fell to the ground alongside Zhang Yun. The glowing pearl made its way to Zhang Yun's lips and entered his body. They both lied next to each other unaware of someone's approaching footsteps. Zhang Yun's breathing returned normally, and his face seemed to be painted with colors again. A sweat rolled from Fa Zhen's hair across her forehead as she was also swept away by sleep.