Chapter 32: Change Of Heart

At Lai Xue, Crown Princess Yu Ruo had a mouthful of food, deeply in conversation with Fa Zhen. She waved her chicken drumstick in the air as she spouted insults toward The Western Empire's Princess Qiao En.

"I mean who does she think she is?! To brazenly order the Emperor to take her into his harem. No respect for you at all, Xiao Dan jie jie."

She placed the drumstick into her mouth and chewed off a piece. Fa Zhen's narrowed eyes observed the Crown Princess' weird behavior.

Yu Ruo is upset for me? That's odd. Shouldn't she be the one stomping because Qiao En wants to marry Zhang Yun?

"His Majesty can decide whatever he prefers on the matter," Fa Zhen said coolly, although inside her chest felt compressed and heavy.

"Xiao Dan jie jie, you really don't feel angry about Princess Qiao En coming into Yun Gege's life?"

Taking a deep breath, Fa Zhen replied, "I made do with you. Who's to say I can't handle another?"

Feeling rather sorry, Yu Ruo set down her chicken bone. She never meant to come in between Zhang Yun and Xiao Dan. She had always admire Yun Gege, but not enough to marry him. Under her grandfather's influence, she had no choice.

"Is that what you really think, Noble Consort?"

With hands behind his back, Zhang Yun interrupted their sisterly conversation. Both stood up to greet the Emperor. Standing silently underneath the light of the moon, Zhang Yun stared at Fa Zhen while her gaze did not meet his and Yu Ruo's eyes moved back and forth between the two.

"Ah, I'm quite tired after eating. Ah Mei, let us return. Farewell your Majesty, Noble Consort." Quickly, Yu Ruo waved for Ah Mei to escort her out.

Muttering under her breath, Fa Zhen said, "She ate so much today and yet came to rob my kitchen of food."

Fa Zhen was starting to warm up to the Crown Princess' childish antics. She proved to be rather kind than from Fa Zhen's first impression of her. They had quite a few things in common, one of them was eating.

"Xiao Dan," Zhang Yun called out to her lovingly as he did in the past, "Are you mad?"

Remaining calm, she shook her head.

"Now you won't even speak to me?"

She gave him the cold shoulder.  He walked over to her side staring at her emotionless face.

"I have a feeling you tend to avoid me when you're angry."

He'd forgotten how Xiao Dan was like in the past, but he was starting to make new memories with her.

"It just looks like you were enjoying yourself out there," she said.

"I was having fun watching you enjoy four plateful of food I've specifically ordered for you."

Huh? He was watching me?

"You're the only person I've ever seen be so happy eating fried eggs."

Only because I was eating my feelings! But... damn, I do love fried eggs.

Taking her hand into his, Zhang Yun felt at peace to be by her side. Maybe he wasn't so wrong to have fallen for her in the past. He could feel her eyes follow him when they were in the same room, feeling her desperation to love him.

"Princess Qiao En is quite a character but... I'm not interested in her." Zhang Yun whispered his confession into Fa Zhen's ears.

He wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into his embrace. Fa Zhen wasn't expecting the tenderness of his touch. Again, she felt her powers flowing through her veins.

"Who are you interested in?" Fa Zhen asked, closing her eyes, feeling at ease.

"Hasn't it always been you?"