Chapter 20: Leaving The Palace

"Noble Consort... It will be hard to leave the palace without Crown Prince's permission." Xiao Tong mumbled.

"I'm only going out for a while. Like you said, it can clear my mind," a faint smile appeared on Fa Zhen's face. The heaviness in Xiao Tong's chest alleviated, glad that Noble Consort Mo was in a better mood.

Borrowing one of Xiao Tong's maid outfit, Fa Zhen walked out the palace gates without much trouble. She was stopped by one of the guards who was suspicious of a palace maid who had the face of a beauty usually seen in the harem. Except she was able to make him uncomfortable with her own pestering questions that made him wave for her to leave through the gates immediately.

"I wish I could just fly somewhere. Humans only have legs for walking. I mean in my immortal form, I can walk, swim, and fly. Almost as if I was made with perfection in mind!"

Walking among the humans on the busy street, Fa Zhen decided to visit an inn for some food before making her way to the closest body of water for an afternoon of swimming. After relishing the inn's quick meal, Fa Zhen decided to cast a simple spell of invisibility to soar over to Qing Tian Lake. 

Back at the palace, a distraught Zhang Yun sat in Fa Zhen's bedchambers as a kneeling Xiao Tong begged for mercy.

"Where did she go?" His voice, like a tiger awaiting his prey to come out of hiding, was stern and about to lose control.

"You-- Your Highness! Noble Consort wanted to leave the palace--"

"She what?!"

Through tears, Xiao Tong revealed, "Noble Consort had become depressed over news of the Crown Princess' pregnancy and wanted to take a walk outside to clear her mind."

"Why didn't you go with her? Why didn't she bring anyone?"

"Answering your Highness, Noble Consort did not want anyone to go with her and snuck out in-- in this lowly's clothing..."

With fingers pinching the skin between his eyes, he asked, "Where did she go?"

"Noble Consort didn't say exactly where, but-- but she said the nearest lake or-- or water?"

What? What is this silly girl thinking? Nearest body of water? Don't tell me the news of Yu Ruo's pregnancy has caused her to seek her own end? I have to find her! I have to explain it to her!

Without another word, Zhang Yun raced off to the stables, grabbed his fastest and noblest steed, and took off toward Qing Tian Lake. Could she even be there, out of all the lakes in capital city? Only he had to take this chance.

Fa Zhen had already been swimming peacefully for an hour. Although an attractive site for many visitors, the other side of the lake was completely closed off because it was covered by an overlooking cliff. It was also the smaller half of the lake where the forest engulfed the sides, making it hard for easy access. Thus, Fa Zhen was able to swim about with her tail splashing in the clear water.

She flew to the top of the cliff to look at the wondrous view of forest and the lake's reflection of the sky. To be in nature, was calming and invigorating that the issue of Zhang Yun's infidelity bothered her a little less, but was still definitely the only thing she could think about. 

"One year on earth is one day in the Nine Heavens... I really don't have a lot of time at all. Zhang Yun will probably live another fifty years while I continue to live for thousands of years. Should I just make do with everything and just be with him in the present, no matter the struggle?"

Her monologue pulled out the maturity she wished to have. Although a side of her wanted to hold onto Zhang Yun, another wanted to leave the unbearable emotional turmoil. 

"Forget it! Forget it! He's the one who broke his promise! Doesn't that mean everything's been nullified?!" 

However, that didn't mean she wanted to leave. Her whole heart was still deeply in love with Zhang Yun, this remarkably handsome and thoughtful Crown Prince. 

"Oh my head," she rubbed her temples, "Let's just go for a swim..."

Right next to her were her outer robes, folded, and her shoes, neatly together. She spread her arms out wide, ready to take a leap into the depths of the lake.

Zhang Yun ran up the sliding slopes of the cliff, yelling out, "Xiao Dan, don't!"

Huh?

Turning her body to face the frightened Zhang Yun, Fa Zhen had already pushed herself of the cliff. Without being able to fight gravity's pull in that moment, she disappeared down the cliff. But not without Zhang Yun's tightened hand holding onto her wrist. They both landed in the water with a splash, and their moments beneath the surface felt like an eternity until Fa Zhen's head appeared to jump out from the water. Zhang Yun was nowhere to be seen.