Chapter 8 "Blood and War."

My eyes widened in horror. I watched as he strode over to me, the grin remaining on his lips.

What did this mean?! What was he going to do?

~

I braced myself as he halted inches before me, his eyes scaling up and down my figure. I flinched as his eyes met mine once more, they were blazing with an unknown emotion.

"Calm down, it's not what you think." Ares sighed, he rolled his eyes and gestured me to follow him.

For some odd reason I trusted him, he was always blunt about his actions. If he were to hurt me he wouldn't have waited for an answer.

I hesitated and followed the god out of the room, as we walked he spoke. "Usually she awaits me after war to wipe off the blood of my enemies, it's become sort of a-custom for me." He explained. He was talking about Aphrodite.

"Why isn't she here waiting for you?" I asked.

"Our-"relationship" hasn't been exactly steady the past few years. I imagine she resents me." Said Ares.

I squeezed my lips into a thin line. Why is he dragging me around then? In fact, I asked exactly that. "Why bring me into this then?"

Ares chuckled and shook his head, "She's not threatened by you, which is why you're going to help me."

She wasn't threatened by me? I think he meant she didn't hate me like the other gods did. "You want me to get close to her then?" I asked.

"You're a smart one," Ares started, "you continue that behavior and Athena might execute you on the spot."

My throat tightened at the attempted compliment. Would she really kill me? She obviously wanted me dead but I assumed it was just her precaution.

"S-so you do want me getting closer to her?" I continued in a stammering voice.

Ares nodded. "Yup. Find out what's going on in that pretty head of hers for me."

I wanted to say no but part of me thought of this opportunity as way to improve whatever I could within this relationship between Ares and I. He was a terrible enemy to have. So I nodded, I agreed to do his biddings. "Okay, I'll do it."

A wicked grin spread across Ares' face as I gave into his plan, he had gotten what he wanted. Hopefully I'll get what I wanted as well...

~

The next day I made it my duty to spend time with the goddess of love. I entered her space as she sat upon her throne of roses and gold. Her violet eyes met mine with curiosity. She tossed her golden locks over her shoulder and beckoned me closer, "Come here dear!"

I swallowed hard and obeyed, I stood before her nervously as her judging eyes observed my every flaw. "Such a pretty girl. Not flawless but pretty. Perhaps we could change that, yes?" She cooed, her voice smooth like silk as if reciting a lullaby.

I opened my mouth to speak but no words could manage their way out. I stood like a wordless fool. She took my reaction as a yes and smiled, "Come, let's take a look."

She stood from her throne and grasped my hand gently, she pulled me towards a towering regal looking mirror against a nearby wall. We both stood next to each other in the reflection, I felt myself cower as I began comparing myself to the goddess. She stood taller than me, more endowed then me, her face more adorned than mine.