Chapter 26 "Prying Eyes"

Shiva's POV

Heavy grey clouds rolled in as the sun set. Thunder rumbled in the distance when we approached the Empire State Building, it's flashing lights hidden in the shadows of the clouds above. It was almost as if Zeus was awaiting our arrival.

"We'll enter through the parking garage, I remember the passcode to get in and we'll work our way up." Explained Ares who lead us forward.

I tugged at my gross sleeve. The janitors uniform I wore sat on my body very loosely while I hide my light hair under a cap. Apollo also couldn't hide the look of discomfort on his face as he managed to keep his chin held high; likely to avoid the stench wafting off the janitors uniform. Ares's disguise, while not nearly as smelly, was covered in white paint. I don't know how we're gonna pull this off...

We eventually reached the parking garage that Ares mentioned. We ducked behind pillars and several cars as security guards with flash lights patrolled. "Keep in mind, half of them aren't human." Whispered Apollo in caution.

"Aren't human??" I whispered back, confused.

"I mean, do you really expect that the entrance to Olympus wouldn't be guarded by its own?" Retorted Apollo. I guess I didn't think of it that way...

Ares motioned us forward as we quickly dove behind car after car. we inched toward the janitor entrance when a low voice called from behind us.

"Hey!"

We turned around and saw one of the security guards with his flashlight pointed at us. We were wearing our disguises... but we also looked suspicious kneeled behind a car. We hoped that whoever this was, it was a simple mortal and not one of Olympus's guards.

Apollo lips trembled. I could sense he wanted to speak but he couldn't physically bring himself to lie, being the god of truth and all. Ares was too short tempered to try and cooperate with the guy... so it would have to be me that does the talking. I stood up and adorned the most obvious smile. "We are-uhm, there's a get together in the lounge!" I stammered as I attempted to lie.

Ares sighed and shook his head in response to my poor attempt at lying. However, I didn't back down so easily. "A get together?" Questioned the guard with a raised eyebrow.

I nodded. "Yep! A surprise get together." I started. "Our co-worker... John, it's his birthday and we're gonna surprise him!"

The security guards narrowed his eyes at us. "John?" Asked the security guard.

"Y-yep!" I said laughing nervously.

Relief washed over me as I saw the security guard loosen up with a smile. "I didn't know it was John's birthday!" Beamed the guard.

"Yeah, we're just waiting on him out here and we're uhm... gonna give him a scare!" I added. This was the fatal flaw of my lie.

"Aha! That's great, is he about to come out?" Asked the guard as he tucked his flashlight on his belt.

"I t-think... so."

"I gotta see this!" Laughed the guard as he joined us at the side of the car. He peered over with a wide smile at the door expecting 'john' to come walking out. He must've known a janitor named John that worked there... humans have the most simple names.