Chapter 22 "God of Whining"

Once in the diner, I nervously scanned my surroundings for any mysterious old women. I wandered the diner until I felt a light tug on my denim skirt. I jumped at the sudden contact but sighed in relief as it was just Ares.

His calloused hand was gripping the fabric of my skirt with a smirk. "We're right here. Why do you look so nervous?" Ares Asked.

Apollo's arms were crossed and he seemed to be glaring at Ares. Ares looked at Apollo and his smirk grew wider, he then let go of my skirt. I glanced around me once more and sat in the booth next to Ares. They both seemed confused at my cautious state. I leaned in and whispered, "That older woman, in the car: She became very strange after you guys left. She said something about the fates always watching."

As soon as I said 'fates' the color from their faces drained. They exchanged worried looks.

Apollo's POV

My annoyance from Ares grabbing Shiva's skirt and her sitting next to him subsided as soon as I heard what she had just said. I've had a few brief encounters with the fates... Only on one occasion have the fates ever been tricked and that occasion was orchestrated by none other than me. I had foreseen a dear friend of mine, Ademetus, dying. So... Regretfully I had gotten the fates drunk and persuaded them to extend his lifespan. Their view on me hasn't been pleasant since.

More importantly, what did they want with Shiva and what was she talking about?

...

Then it had occurred to me. Shiva swore on the 'river styx' earlier... once someone swears on the river styx the fates will always be watching. Now, under normal circumstances it wouldn't mean much but in our case, with pandora's box in our possession, we need to be extra careful. By the gods, they're probably listening to us right now!

"Shiva... did you know the extent of your promise you made earlier?" I carefully asked.

Her soft features fell in thought, "I suppose, I wouldn't have made such a promise if I was lying."

"We have enough shit on our plate, to hell with em'! I'm starving." Blurted out Ares. He obnoxiously waved his hand to gather the attention of a waitress.

Shiva seems to attract trouble doesn't she.

~

We left the Diner satisfied and walked around the small town looking for somewhere to stay. Fortunately there was a cheap looking motel nearby. The neon 'Motel' sign blinked at us like a beacon of hope.

The plan was that we'd get a room, get some sleep, and develop a long-term plan.

Shiva's face contorted in disgust. She seemed to examine the motel with judgment. This was significantly worse than the camp or anything she's seen. "We can't stay in there! We aren't filthy mortals." Cried Shiva.

"Stop your damn whining! Try sleeping in a tent or on the ground. This is luxury compared to where I normally sleep." Said Ares.

I rolled my eyes and we made our way to the main building of the Motel. Inside the lobby it reeked of moist carpet and the walls were covered in hideous wallpaper. Behind the lobby desk was a goth teen, her face was buried in a magazine and her feet rested ontop of the lobby desk. "Excuse me, Miss?"

She didn't respond. I could hear the faint sound of music playing, she must've had earbuds in or something. Ares got impatient and just ripped her magazine out of her hands. "Ares-!" I gasped.