Five- A Warning

Morning came and went, and Liz, John, Grayson and Cade had left on their mission already. Bastion paced anxiously until we decided it was time for us to begin scanning the nearby area.

I walked out of the caves gaping my mouth slowly, checking behind the corners first. Once I saw it was clear, I signaled for Kaylee and Bastion to follow me. We walked out of the cave and split up. Kaylee went left, Bastion right, and I went straight into the forest ahead of the cave where I had seen the dark figure.

I felt drawn to search for the figure, determined to find out the identity. I walked through the forest as straight as I could, keeping an eye on the cave so I would not stray too far or get lost. I could see Bastion looking around some bushes and Kali down towards the ground examining something.

I walked carefully, trying not to make too much noise, though the crunchy dead leaves made it a difficult task. I scanned the area around me, noticing Bastion, Kaylee and the cave were all out of sight.

I walked back a bit to make sure my straight line would bring me back to the cave. I knew I was clear when the cave came into sight directly in front of me, peeking over the slight hill. I nodded to myself and continued my walk.

A ways down I stopped by a rock to rest. I had found black and raspberries, which could be a good and bad thing. Bears are common this time of year, and they would be attracted to the sweet smell of the berries. Other than some poison ivy, I did not find much else.

As I sat on the rock, examining the knife I had brought along, I heard a slight snap behind me. I whipped around, holding my knife in a defensive position, ready for whatever was there. I stood shocked to see the man, or shall I say alien, from my dreams.

He stood, looking at me at first, but as I took my attack position standing in front of the rock I was sitting on, holding my knife accordingly. To my surprise, he stepped back holding his hands out.

"Wait! I mean you no harm!" he stated, his eyes shimmering a beautiful purple as the sun hit them. His voice was deep and masculine, but in a comforting peaceful way, almost as if I could feel safe by just hearing his voice. I was quick to push those thoughts out of my mind, though.

I glared my emerald eyes at him, staying in my position waiting for his attack. After I got my head away from those distracting eyes and handsome voice, I quickly squatted down, grabbing my second knife from my boot and standing up just as fast. He flinched and stepped back another step. I ran through the reasons in my head as to why he moved back. Did I actually threaten him, or was he playing to make me comfortable with him?

I gripped my knives as I stared him down, fire burning in my eyes. All I knew was his species and probably he as well had killed people. My friends, family, anyone I'd ever met besides those who remained from the hiking trip could be dead right now. I was not going to let him get any closer, let alone let my guard down.

His arms were still in front of him, his hands out as if he were trying to tame a wild beast. He pulled his arms back, bending them at the elbows but keeping his hands in place.

"Please. I'm not here to kill you or anyone of your kind," he said, keeping eye contact with me as well as my knives.

I moved slightly away, keeping my knives in front of me waiting to be attacked. I began to walk away backwards, swiftly keeping my balance but also myself protected. I saw his eyes change, they looked a bit darker and maybe even turned to a bluish color and a fragment of hurt washed over his face. Was he sad that I did not want to trust him?

I kept my eye on him as I continued to move away. In a flash, I turned and began to run as fast as I could, plunging my knives into its holster and the other into my belt. I ran for just a few seconds before I was tackled to the ground. My heart began to race as horrifying thoughts burst through my mind. Was he going to kill me?