Seven- New Allies

I woke up shivering with my head on my pillow and my body covered by the blanket that was once only on my legs. I groan as I sit up and scope out the surrounding area. I was quickly realized alone and I missed the warmth Xenophon provided along with the sense of safety that came with it.

I stretched my arms and legs out before packing my blankets back into my bag. I took a quick glance around before stripping down to my underwear. I grabbed a light gray tee shirt and slipped it on. I dug through my bag for a moment before pulling out my black pre-worn shorts. I slipped them over my legs and underwear before I pulled my black boots back on and tied them up.

After everything was packed there was not a sign anyone had even slept in the spot I did. I walked to the trail, glancing back at the way I had come. I shook my head thinking back to my friends and continued on the trail leading deeper into the abyss of trees.

I had to admit, the walk was lonely. I had often thought about turning back and trying to convince at least one of my friends to come along, but I knew it would most likely be useless. I kept wondering how they were doing, if they were safe or not, and where they were at that moment.

The sun was still rising as I took in the still cool morning air. I had grown to like the morning freshness, even though I would much rather be home and safe asleep in my queen sized bed and not worrying about the lives of everyone I loved during an alien apocalypse.

I found myself longing to be home. I thought of the people I loved. My family and other friends from home. Who was left? Who hadn't made it? So many questions ran through my mind and I knew I would most likely not have an answer for them any time soon if not at all. I would give anything to hug my parents one last time, and a tear sprung from my tear ducts with the mere thought.

Bastion's POV

After Morgan left, everyone seemed to collapse. Kaylee cried every five fucking minutes. Cade was annoyed by Kaylee's constant whining and crying. Liz and John bickered over what to do next. Grayson paced around waiting to see what would happen.

That left me alone with my thoughts. I pondered if Morgan could have been telling the truth. What if that alien was not bad and did intend to help? None of us had met him so how could we have known. We had to follow our instincts which said this cave was safe because there were no aliens in it as far as we knew. Perhaps being with an alien aly would have been a safer route.

After a while of not doing anything and crying, I finally got sick of not taking action. I stood up, which startled some of the group.

"This is bullshit. We need to do something. We could travel in the caves but we have to go somewhere," I said assertively.

It only took that and a few agreements from the group and minutes later everyone agreed to going deeper in the caves. The group packed up their bags, distributing everything equally among the six of us who remained.

Once everything was packed and ready, we nodded at each other before glancing back at the cave entrance. We turned and began our trip deeper into the unknown darkness ahead of us.

Morgan's POV

I had been hiking for a while now. Time was nothing but where the sun was now and how long until it disappeared. I still had plenty of light, but I was unsure where I was going or if I was even going in the direction of the new caves that promised a temporary safe haven.

The birds chirped around me, squirrels running up trees once in a while. Even though I was so deep into the wilderness, there were not as many animal sightings as you would have thought.

Eventually I came upon a tree with a large low hanging branch. A perfect spot to rest, I thought to myself. I walked over to the tree and climbed the short way to the hanging branch. I pulled my pack off and set it next to me, unzipping it. I pulled out an energy bar and peeled the wrapper back.