Step Back and Listen

Three months later
Detroit, Michigan

Wynnie was exhausted. The lead was lifting as it should now, even though it's still ridiculously cold in Michigan. She hummed to herself while checking the lead levels in samples she'd taken just days before.

A flashback caught her attention for a moment, and she blushed. Nasty, she thought. Okay, she'd admit it, Wynnie Perriloux was in love. But how long would this feeling last, she didn't know. She didn't want to know. Wynnie just wanted to enjoy the ride...eh heh.

"Here you are, Dr. Pierroux." She handed Camille her findings for the week. Camille looks down her glasses at the results and although very pleased, she does not let on that she is.

"Okay, now do it again." She shoves the papers back in Wednesday's hand. Wanting to lash out, Wynnie says nothing and does them again.

Hours later, Wynnie gives up leaving with her team. We can live to fight another day.

As soon as Wynnie put her bags down, she got a call to come down to the center where the Minnelli and Pierroux families were having meetings.

Pulling on her coat again, Wynnie had had enough. This shit stops today, she thinks.

She steps in the meeting room and once again most, if not all of the people that were in the President's Chamber were there this time. Strike two.

Missy walks around in her expensive shoes. "Who told you that you could leave with everybody else?" Strike three.

She doesn't waste time. Much like her own husband but that's neither here or there.

"What you mean who told me? I did." Wynnie doesn't waste time either. The room is stunned back again.

"Wednesday Perriloux." Missy calls her name.

"Melissaire Devereaux-Minnelli." Wynnie was not backing down today. The room is still shook.

"I gave you this opportunity-" Missy starts.

"Let me stop you right there, pimpin. I didn't ask for this. You saw my proposal and did this on your own. I remember distinctly saying that was part of a project for my class. Dassit. You took it upon yourself to do this."

"This opportunity was to advance you." Missy defends herself.

"I'm not done yet. Since y'all so invested in my future, for what I don't know. It was y'all that forced my hand to come to Golden Oak anyway." Wynnie had snapped. "I was fine but it was y'all that sabotaged my credits at Miami to get me to come here. I didn't ask for it!" Pipes had popped.

"It was for you." Missy continued to defend herself.

"Shut up! You've said and done enough. It's my time. I did not ask for this! None of this shit. You made it like you were so concerned for me. Why? Poor smart girl from South Florida. All my life people like you hear about my past in some way and feel guilty for my plight and want to 'help'. Poor but smart Wynnie and Sunday. I don't think you understand. My mama was on drugs. Okay and? I'm fine."

"I didn't have a mother! And I am fine!" Wynnie stood in Missy's face, equal now. "I am no Cinderella. I'm not begging for someone to set me free. You are NOT my mother, nor will you EVER be my mother." Wednesday wipes her face with the angry tears before landing the final dagger to everybody in that room. "And let me make this perfectly clear, I DO NOT NEED HELP."

Wynnie leaves the room, city and state on that note.

"Wow." Antonio stood in the door of their bedroom later that night.