Hail Cairo

Suburb of Detroit, Michigan
Cairo Minnelli

I was sitting my study, going over some homework. Yes, I'm still in school. Top student. Don't ask how, just know I do.

My phone rang. Bethany.

"Cairo, pirates are sailing here." She went into the specifics. My stomach dropped for a moment.

"Sailing here as in the California coast? Where Nia is?"

"Yes." Bethany confirmed. My stomach turned again. Just a little more time.

"I'm not in that life anymore." I reiterate to Bethany one more time. But my fingers found their way on my surveillance computer.

"And I know that. But, just one last ride." Her voice reflected fear for the first time since we been working together.

One last ride.

One more time.

"Okay..." I agreed. Just one more time.

I stood in the bedroom I shared with Wynnie. Craving the ride, the rush. But also her touch.

Touching my favorite places on her body. Saving her belly for last. I could feel my son. You couldn't tell me differently.

Wynnie opened her eyes with a smile. It's two am.

"Where you goin?" She searched my face. Her smile didn't change.

"I got some business to take care of. I'll be back soon. I promise."

"Okay..." she held my cheek for a moment. And then turned over and back to sleep. So trusting. I promise.

I grabbed my bag and locked her in. The rush.

I threw my hood over my head. The rush. I got in the Escalade to get to the airport. The Rush.

I slip in the private plane with Bethany. "I'm done with this after this." Her face was pale under her darker skin. I look at her.

"Noted." I rub my palms together. "It stops now."

We make it to the deserted island by daybreak. The wind is eerily cold.

Bethany and I take our time getting set up.

"They'll be here by 10 pm tonight." She checked their coordinates. I rub my palms together. The rush.

By 10 pm sharp, a boat comes into view for us but they can't see us.

I shoot a hook and rope onto the boat and swing in, barely making a noise. Spanish speaking pirates aren't aware of my presence. The rush.

Bethany knows to stay behind. I work alone.

I kick the door open. Clearly startled, they stand up with their guns drawn. And for the first time, I'm outmatched. Outskilled. Out of time.

"Let's make a deal..." I begin. "I won't kill you all."

"And?"

"That's it. I won't kill you. Y'all just go on."

"Nah..."

Suddenly there's rumbling under the the boat. Deep rumbling.

"Get outta there, Cairo!" Bethany yells in my ear.

"Nah, I got it under control."

"You don't understand. I...i fucked up. I detonated the bomb before your instructions."

I was too stunned to respond. Out of time.

I rushed off the boat just as it explodes. "Cairo!" I could hear Bethany's voice. "I am sorry my brother."

In the black dark waters, I grappled to find something to hold onto.

Swimming. Swimming. I can't hear anything now. Don't close your eyes. You promised Wynnie. You promised her.

For the first time, I close my eyes. Under. Under. Water filling my lungs fast.

And the first face I see is a darker skinned woman with a beautiful smile; Wynnie. She's rubbing her belly in front what looks like a beach. My legacy.

My first broken promise. I'm sorry Wynnie. I loved you.

I swear to God I loved you.

Bethany Minnelli

I find myself slipping in the underbelly of the boat. Unkept, and already leaking with water. Lighting a stick so I could see, my foot steps on the bomb. This was already planted here. What the fuck!

The underbelly starts rumbling.

"Cairo! We need to leave, like now!"

"I got it under control." His ever confident disposition. I wanted to smile but this boat was about to blow.

"Please, Cairo..." I jump in the water, hoping to get back to the island in time. But before I could get to the island, the boat exploded. I could see him going under.

Starting the boat, I go where I knew he was. Although it's black dark. Let me be right.

I pull him out of the water. I'm too late.

I take his body to the shore of California.

"Bout time you come see me Bethany." My best friend, TaMika Leveau-Stevens.

"This is my family. He's dead. But I need you..."

"I'll see what I can do chile...I am with child ya see chile." TaMika rubs her belly.

"Thank you and thank the ancestors for me."

"Always chile...always." TaMika waved at the anxious woman. She taps Cairo's face three times. "Hmm, conflicted, tortured soul. I'm gonna have fun with you."

TaMika laughs out maniacally.