Selfish

University of Florida-Jupiter campus
April

A few days later, Eden was coming from the art department. Her paints in her bag and lunch in the other hand. Her skin is prickly.

Zolan saw his opportunity. Resting on one of the benches on campus where he was sure she was today. Yes, his surveillance gave him access to her schedule at both Miami and UFJ.

"University of Florida-Jupiter huh?" He got her attention quickly. She jumped nervously.

"On God if I had dropped my lunch, we'd be dead ass fighting. Don't play with me, Zo." She recovered. "What are you doing here anyway?"

"Don't mean shit to me. I'll just buy you more food." He winks. "I, too, have classes on UFJ campus."

"Such a charmer." Eden sidesteps him with a mocking smile. "Well, go to class."

Zolan grabs her free hand and clasps his fingers between hers. Eden didn't have time to refuse it. The sparks had already calmed her.

"Where you goin, friend?" Zo made his voice feminine, pulling her closer to him. She couldn't refuse even if she wanted to. What the fuck!

"If you don't find you something to do!" She giggles, pulling her hand from his strong hold.

"I am! Getting to know you. Eden Rogers." He flirts. They cross the street hand in hand. "I'm not letting you go so you can stop pulling away from me."

Eden didn't catch the double meaning in his words. "Shut up Zo. You swear you run shit."

"I don't think. I know."

They're sitting alone on a picnic table. "You going home soon?"

"Why go home when there is money to be made?" He doesn't need to know the truth, she thinks.

"That's debatable." He rubs his beard, pretending to be in thought. Eden opens her lunch up and offers him some.

"Says a Minnelli." Eden rolls her eyes. She notices the flash of pride in his disposition. "Who are your parents?"

"Cairo and Wynnie Minnelli. Them my folks."

"Wynnie? Like Winnie the Pooh?" She laughs long and hard.

"Aye, E. Don't talk about my mama. You cute. But I'll still fuck you up."

"You wouldn't."

"Don't try ya luck."

"Anyway. I've met one of your family members. Sunday! She came to my school and that's how I learned about system programming. Want some?" She offers more of her food. Zo takes another fry. "The tip y'all left cleared my balance so I was hype about that."

"That's good. That's my auntie, my mama sister."

"Let me hurry up to go home."

"Where you staying?" Zo knew the answer.

"With my boyfriend." She watched him playfully.

"Don't nobody care bout that lil nigga, E." Zo smirked. "I'll take you from that nigga, E."

"I bet you don't Mr. I Get Hoes." She references to his reputation. "You a cocky muhfucka." Just the out Zo was looking for.

"I don't get hoes. Unless I want to." He is suddenly serious. He hated the perception of Minnelli men on college campuses. The few girls he'd engaged with weren't worth it and the myth continued. Zolan rolled his eyes. "I get who I want."

Suddenly, Eden's phone started to ring. "Hey babe." She greeted.

"Where you?"

"Eating lunch outside, about to go. Why?"