Minnelli Bonding

Three-year-old Zolan Minnelli ran through the house with a makeshift bat, and no pants. Cairo had called himself volunteering to babysit his son while Wynnie and Sunday went to the Robotics Convention downtown.

"Can't keep up Pop!" Zo talking shit. CRASH!

"Put that gotdamn stick down boy!" Cairo was running after him with a pull up in hand. Potty training was in its last stages but Zolan had a habit of taking it off completely to use the pot. But he refused to put one on after doing his business.

And with the attention span of a child, the stick is dropped when he found something else more interesting. Cairo looked around at the damage. Wynnie gon kill me again, he thought. Her favorite vases were smashed up. Cairo pulls out his phone to reorder them, and prayed they'll be in before she got home.

He found Zolan in his room taking a nap. With his little cheeks up in the air. Yeah, we not having another one, he thought as he slid the pull up on his son's backside.

Alex and Adonis, with their sons, showed up a few hours later after the damage was cleaned up. The newest generation of Minnelli boys were different from each other. Gemini and Thorne played calmly with Zolan but Phoenix and Apollo picked a fight almost immediately. Zo naturally stood his ground.

"Have you ever thought about putting him in T-ball?" Adonis asked as he played referee for the toddlers.

"T-ball?" Cairo repeats his twin. "Why T-ball? He likes wrestling and running too."

"He likes swinging that damn stick more. Ouch! Shit boy." Alex snatched the stick from Zolan as he ran off. "Hitting people and things. It's worth a shot." He shrugged.

To prove his theory, Alex handed Zolan the stick again. He immediately started swinging it. running out of the way, Alex tossed the ball toward Zo. He hit it.

"WOOOOOWWWW!" the little boy yelled excitedly.

"Like I said, it's worth a shot." Alex shrugged.

On the following Monday, Wednesday's replaced vases arrived. But she was already home.

"Eh heh...hey baby. I got you somethin." Cairo tried to smooth it over.

"ZOLAN CAIRO MINNELLI!" Wednesday yelled.

"Now baby...he's just a little dude." Cairo tried to defend Zo.

"Uh huh. Shut up." She didn't even look in her husband's direction. "What have I told you about using that stick in my house Zolan?"

"Not to use it." his green-grey eyes were suddenly big.

"And you disobeyed mommy." Wednesday got down on his level. "And got Pop in trouble too."

"But mommy..." Zolan started to defend himself. Wednesday held her hand up for him to stop speaking.

"You have disappointed me, Zolan. So you know what that means?"

"Mommy nooo!"

"You will not be going to Nana Missy's house with the rest of your cousins." Wynnie didn't even raise her voice. Zo was hurt. He instantly started crying crocodile tears. "And that is final." She turns to Cairo. "Do I make myself clear, Pop?"

"Yes, Wynnie." Cairo felt bad for Zo. Wynnie left the room on that note.

"You gon listen to me one day." Cairo mushed the little boy's head. Zo just pouted and walked after his Pops.

Seven-year-old Zolan helped his Pops with the tent. He had finally convinced Cairo to go camping. Just the two of them. Well, Wynnie was there too but she refused to the leave the comforts of the RV to "rough it" like her son and husband.

Zolan was so excited to go with his dad for some man time.

"Yeah Pops. So I'm gonna get some tattoos like you and a diamond cross in my teeth like you too."

"Why?"

"Cuz Pops! It's cool. Duh!" Zo laughed and rolled his sleeping bag out.

"What if it's not cool when you get older?" Cairo watched his son. His replica...

"Then I'll make it cool."

"What if I say no?"

"Then I'll do it anyway...or wait til I'm like 18 and do it." Zolan was serious. "Then I'ma get me a honey like Auntie Sunday."

"Boy that's yo Auntie! You can't look at her like that!" Cairo was a little shook. "Uncle Alex would kick yo young ass if he heard you. I know Nana Zippy wouldn't like us fighting."

"So? She still fine. I can look. But look Pop. I'm not done. I'ma get me a honey like that and have a whole buncha kids."

"A whole buncha kids huh?" Cairo was entertained as they climbed a tree.

"Or one...I'm pretty selfish myself." Zo admits.

"I noticed." Cairo chuckles. "So, you don't want a sibling?"

"Oh he-ck..." he smiles big. He remembered not to curse. "nah. My cousins are enough."

"I'm glad you came out here with me Pop." They watched the stars together in silence. Zo finished his dinner and snuggled under his old man against the cool wind.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." Cairo kissed his son on the forehead as he closed his eyes for the night.