9 - There will be no need to talk

"Parvati Patil?"

"Yes Professor Umbridge."

"Harry Potter?" I notice how her lip curls at Harry's name.

"Yes Professor Umbridge."

"Willow Potter-Tree?"

"Present."

"Excuse me?"

"Sorry. Here, Professor Umridge." She says slightly sarcastically. Umbridge takes a deep breath and continues.

"Eva... Riddle?"

"Yes Professor Umbridge."

She looks up. "Is this some kind of joke?"

"What do you mean?" I ask. A joke?

"Why do you have He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named's surname instead of your own?" She asks. I grimace at the way she's worded it. I can't answer.

"I... I don't understand your question Professor. It's my surname."

"No it isn't. He had no children."

"I'm Adopted." I smile sarcastically.

"Eva. I do not appreciate this prank." She smiles her sickly sweet smile and I have to grip my seat very hard to stop myself drawing my wand.

"It's pronounced Ev-er, not Eve-er."

"Detention!" She shrieks. "Five o'Clock tonight, my office."

"Fine, just accept my name and I'll go to a weeks worth of detentions!"

She stares at me, trying to pull herself together. I look down, remembering what Lupin said about keeping my head down. That's more than enough attention.

Fred. Picture Fred. I smile to myself and flip to chapter one with the rest of the class.

This book is Dull, Dull, Dull. Fred. Think of those delicious fireworks and the fact that he's now my boyfriend. The feel of his lips on my neck...

Dull. Boring. Dull.

Then I notice Hermione. She's not reading!

This is probably the scariest thing in my life. I sit and stare. Umbridge makes a point of ignoring her hand. Finally, when more than half the class is watching, she does something about it.

"Did you want to ask something about the chapter, dear?" she asks Hermione, as though she only just noticed her.

"Not about the chapter, no," says Hermione.

"Well, we're reading just now," says Professor Umbridge, showing her small pointed teeth. "If you have other queries we can deal with them at the end of class."

"I've got a query about your course aims," says Hermione. Professor Umbridge raises her eyebrows.

"And your name is?"

"Hermione Granger," says Hermione.

"Well, Miss Granger, I think the course aims are perfectly clear if you read them through carefully" replies Professor Umbridge in a voice of determined sweetness.

"Well, I don't," says Hermione bluntly. "There's nothing written up there about using defensive spells."

There is a short silence in which many members of the class turn their heads to frown at the three course aims still written on the blackboard. It's True! They only say Theory.

"Using defensive spells?" Professor Umbridge repeats with a little laugh. "Why, I can't imagine any situation arising in my classroom that would require you to use a defensive spell, Miss Granger. You surely aren't expecting to be attacked during class?"