Chapter Seventeen

Renata usually had to be given the reminder to take a day or two to herself before she ended up driving herself mad with taking on so many responsibilities at once

Renata usually had to be given the reminder to take a day or two to herself before she ended up driving herself mad with taking on so many responsibilities at once.  James knew all too well with how dedicated she was when it came to any sort of project she was invested in, but he did worry that sometimes she put too much pressure on herself to remain perfect. Her mother and father were long gone, but James believed that Renata and Adelmo still held the words of their parents in their minds, always pushing and striving themselves to be better. It was up to him and Sirius to remind them that they were enough, more than anything they were perfect enough.

Usually, the best way to get Renata to agree to a day off was telling her that Harry was desperate to spend some time with her, even though the two were usually always around each other in the evenings and mornings before she headed off to the restaurant. But as soon as Harry lifted his arms in her direction or asked her to play, Renata was a goner and definitely gave in. With the prospect of adopting Harry officially as her son, it was now more than ever that Renata felt the need to act even more motherly towards the boy; if that were possible.

But one afternoon when James was out covering a match of Puddlemere United, Renata decided to spend the day with Harry, with it just being the two of them. Harry was more than delighted with the idea as usually in recent times, he was either hanging around his friends whenever he was being watched. Without him realising it, he definitely missed the time when it was just him and his mother.

The day started off no differently than the others, with Harry waking up to his mother making breakfast in the kitchen. His father was already gone to start his coverage and begin his interview with the players, leaving the household quiet. When Harry walked out, Renata was just finishing up a couple of poached eggs for him, one of his favourites that they had recently come to learn. Without a word or even so much as a bit of noise, Harry tiptoed over to the table and climbed into one of the chairs.

Renata had yet to notice him as she was humming lightly to herself, a song that Harry didn't recognise but he enjoyed it nonetheless. She was just turning around, contemplating the idea of going upstairs to wake him up, but as she turned and spotted him, she nearly dropped the plate of food in her hands.

"Harry!"

Laughter echoed through the kitchen as Harry found her expression of surprise to be hilarious.

"Got you, Mummy!"

Allowing her heart rate to return to normal, Renata took a moment before she started laughing to herself with a shake of her head. She placed Harry's breakfast down before him on the table, before leaning forward and placing a gentle kiss on his forehead.

"Yes, you certainly did, but that just means I have to get you back," she said tickling his tummy and not letting him get away so easily. He squealed and squirmed around in the chair but Renata wrapped one arm around him so that he wouldn't fall over. Eventually, as he begged through giggles for her to stop, she released him and then told him to start eating so that they could get started with their day.