Chapter Forty

The cold air brushed up against your exposed skin as you rode off the path, into the forest. The trees were large and spread apart. The path that you had took was obviously not used very often. Tree branches jutted out into the middle of the path, at eye level. You had to keep an arm in front of your face in order to prevent getting whipped by a thin, sneaky branch.

     The path suddenly came to an end. Snow fell gracefully around you, yet the silence was unnerving. Soft calls of a chickadee could be heard echoing throughout the forest, as a red squirrel darted out in front of you, spooking (H/N). They reared , and quickly moved backwards as you hissed at the sudden movement. 

"We should turn back, huh. Maybe try that other path." You murmured, while directing (H/N) around, and back down the path. The soft crunch of fresh snow was satisfying as you emerged from the trees. What you didn't expect to see was Levi sitting atop his ebony mare, staring you down. 

"Jesus Christ, Levi. Don't scare the living shit out of me like that." You grumbled, his mare greeting (H/N). He stared at you for a moment, before speaking

"I thought you could use some company. Besides, if you get bucked off, and fall on your ass, there is no way you are getting yourself back up." You glared at him before nudging your horse with your right leg. They started forwards, onto the other path. 

     The snow fell softly, but quickly covered up the large hoof prints left behind. 

"When is the expedition?" You questioned as he looked over at you, his gunmetal eyes boring into your (E/C) ones. 

"In a few weeks. Shitty four-eyes and eyebrows haven't informed me yet. Pisses me off." He spoke with his usual monotone tone. You bit the inside of your lip, and looked down at (H/N)'s long mane. It slightly bounced with each step. 

"But I have to say this--" He stared ahead, and sighed "--Four eyes did say we were probably going to move most at night. I hope you are okay with that, because I don't think I have a say in that." Your stomach leaped up into your throat. Fuck that, you thought as you leaned back in the saddle. You began to fidget with the reins, as Levi glanced at you. (H/N) was quick to notice, and huffed louder, before tugging forwards. You decided to just look at your fingernails, wincing slightly as your palms burned. 

"Sometimes I wish I was still out there. Alone. It would be easier. Yet, I feel as though when I say that, it sounds as if I am a quitter. I have seen people die before this position I have now, and yet the deaths of the people I had only known for under a year has affected me worse than ever. Worse than when my father left, and never came back, and worse than when I witnessed my mother's pale, lifeless body on the floor of my grungy house. I know you have seen worse. Hange....she told me what happened. What happened...with your old friends. And for some reason, I can't stop thinking about it. Because...I guess I realized that you are going to have to go through that again. I don't know what we are. I just know that you are going to have to see me die one day. And I fear for that day." You croaked out, picking at your exposed hangnails. Levi's eyes became unreadable as he looked forwards.

"I try not to think about that. And I don't need pity." He spoke, in an almost annoyed tone. 

"I--I'm sorry."--You halted your horse to a complete stop, and looked up at him as he did the same, his horse only a few inches staggered in front of yours.--"I just have this awful feeling of dread whenever I think of this next mission." He watched the snow fall, deep in thought. Both horses were huffing, and scraping at the ground now, ready to continue moving. Your breath billowed out in clouds before your face, as you studied him. He was the perfect human being. A slim face, a straight, perfectly sized nose, ears that didn't stick out, a jawline that could cut a bitch, and those eyes. His eyes were always so cold around other people, but whenever he was with you, they seemed to soften, just a bit. Oh! His eyebrows were also perfect.