19-Branded

Val's POV

"I hate you"

I really do. He keeps deciding my life like its his and I hate that.

Walking around the castle made me think that living here might not be so bad after all. The bath, the foods, the luxury but I need my freedom. I need to feel like myself and not what expected of me and he's making that really hard. Can't I just live in the palace with all the luxury and beat up the guards without being the Queen?

"No you can't" Orion said

"What?"

"The answer to your question"

"You weren't supposed to hear that" I said annoyed, more to myself than him. He chuckled.

This particular hallway is lined with portraits of past Kings and Queens. They all remind me of Orion and Carissa, blessed with blond hair and good looks. Does that mean my child would be blond as well? Wait. What the hell are you thinking about! Erase that!

Loss in thought, we've arrive at a big brown door. The woodwork on it is marvelous, I don't think I've seen anything better than this.

"So, this is my study, no one's allowed in here except me" he said knocking the door.

"Hmm" I trace the door with my fingers and appreciate the beautiful carving before opening the door wide, ignoring him.

The room is sufficient, an enormous wooden desk face the door. Behind it lies tall bookcases with colorful books, there is a fireplace and in front of it was a sitting area with 2 couches facing each other and a low table between them. Files and documents scattered on top of it just like on the wooden table.

I walk to his desk and scanned through his files.
"Seems like you have a lot on your hand. I bet the rich and powerful hate your reign"

"That's not your concern"

"It is when my neck's on the line. Who were those assassin?"

"Paid mercenary sent by nobles that I banished. I'm taking care of it, you're safe here with me"

"I think I'm less safe with you than on my own" I tap the mark on my neck.

We locked eyes for a while, exchanging words with glares. He then walk to the centre of the room and held his hand out.

"Come here, dance with me"

"Excuse me?"

"As practice, for tomorrow's event, we need to dance together, twice minimum, come on" he spread his arms wide

"I don't dance. More importanly, what are you going to do with these people trying to kill me?"

"Come here and I'll tell you"

"Forget it, I'll find out on my own"

"Unless of course, you want to be a laughing stock tomorrow"

"I won't be"

"Then show me, prove it"

My feet drags me towards Orion followed by my pride. He knows how to press my buttons and besides, how hard can it be? I used to watch those ladies twirling about on the dance floor, it shouldn't be that hard.

Taking his hand on mine, the closeness of his body suddenly felt real. I never thought that a human being presence can be so impactful. He wrapped one arm around my back and another held my hand.

We started to move and Orion guide me to move alongside him. I look down to our feet, I can't believe I'm actually avoiding his feet, the urge to make a mistake is but a step away. After getting the hang of it, we swayed left and right. I was focusing too much on my move that I didn't realize him watching me like a hawk. When I look up, his pupils flicker gold.