Chapter 1

Ten days, 6 hours, 40 minutes and 20 seconds.

That's how long it's been since Kaira Regan narrowly missed her Alpha mate's grasp. Her fingers lightly tapped against her steering wheel to the music playing as she continued her drive towards her good friend's province. She turned to see her dog, Simba, sleeping soundly in his makeshift bed in the backseat and smiled lightly.

Though, that brief moment of happiness lasted only seconds as she found herself thinking back to the events from ten days ago..

As soon as she jumped out of her pack's daycare facilities' window, Kaira had bolted down the street in her run down Honda Civic. She called her cousin, Maya, to make sure that she'd return to help the kids from the fire that the youngest, Miles, had accidentally started again. When her cousin assured her that she would handle it, Kaira threw her phone out the window and quickly headed to her childhood home.

"Simba, let's go. Remember what mommy told you before? That one day a man would come looking for mommy and we would have to hide? Well, he's here. So we need to go!" Kaira whispered with fear etched onto her gentle features. Even her wolf didn't fight against her on this decision.

Kaira grabbed the bags that she had packed a long time ago and grabbed the stack of cash that she had hidden underneath her mattress with a burner phone. It had several thousands of dollars, enough for her to pay for lodging and food with cash to not leave a trail behind.

Kaira looked at the clock and gasped in shock. Ten minutes had already passed by. She knew that the first place Alpha Crimson would go to would be her cousins home because everyone assumed she ran there because of the fire. But even then, ten minutes is more than enough time for the powerful Alpha to shift into his wolf and head to her childhood home after noticing that she's not at her cousin's place.

After settling Simba into the backseat of her car within seconds, Kaira turned around with tears pouring down her big greenish brown eyes.

She knew what she had to do.

Kaira had been very careful for these last few years and never left any trail behind. She never left any clothing or anything that could carry her scent for precisely this moment. She knew that even if she ran from her mate, as long as he held something with her scent, he'd be able to find her no matter what.

Kaira shook her head in determination before using her wolf speed and grabbing gasoline bottles from her garage. Her home was isolated and there weren't any others ones nearby which made her next actions seem more forgivable in her eyes. Kaira quickly lit a match and tossed it onto the gasoline covered home before getting into her car and speeding away.

Her heart ached as she looked into her rearview mirror and saw her childhood home burning down to nothing. But she had no other choice, the house was covered with her scent and she couldn't risk her Alpha mate using anything of hers to track her down.

"Good evening Ma'am, your provincial passport please?" Kaira was brought out of her thoughts when she finally reached her good friend, Carol's pack. Carol was the Beta Female of this pack and gave special permission for Kaira to visit on such short notice.

Usually visits to another province must be approved by a wolf's Alpha so Carol and her Beta husband, Rick, found it weird that Kaira was passing by without following the proper procedures.

"Good evening, I am Beta Carol's friend. My name is Kaira..." She whispered in a small voice as her black baseball cap covered her face from the guard posted outside the entrance of the Province of ilson.

She didn't want the guard to see any of her features in fear of her mate torturing them for letting her hide there. She didn't want her friends nor their pack members to get in trouble because of her.