Chapter 8

Kaira felt bad for going against Tammy's advice but she knew that once her Alpha mate reached the province of Mitsa, he would be furious with her and won't allow her to visit the family.

She quickly drove her Volkswagen towards the local hospital and noticed a concert taking place in front of the hospital. She saw signs advertising that it was a charity event to raise funds for the hospital. Thinking it was safe enough, Kaira parked her car there.

She pulled her black hoodie over her head and wrapped her scarf around her face. With Simba tucked under her arms, she hurried into the hospital, trying her best to avoid people.

Using her sense of smell, Kaira found the little family in the emergency room on the first floor of the hospital. Upon approaching them, she saw an unconscious Becca with tubes and needles covering most of her little body. Kaira grimaced at the thought of how much pain she would be under.

"How could they? Ten million dollars? How could we afford that?" Tammy cried beside her husband who tried his best to console her.

"Sir, please have the money ready within an hour. Becca's organs rejected the new medication. Each of her organs are failing one after another. We need to start with a transplant, you have to pay the funds so that we can start the surgery," a young doctor advised before moving onto his next patient.

Kaira's eyes widened at his words and she hurried towards Tammy who fainted at the news of her daughter slowly dying in front of her.

"Tammy!" Kaira caught her alongside Al and helped him to lift her onto the nearby empty bed.

Al went to call for somebody to help check on his wife. Kaira stood alone right beside Tammy who struggled between consciousness and unconsciousness.

"Tammy... if you could go back in time, would you change your mind about calling my mate?" Kaira questioned as she held the mothers hand tightly in her own.

"Nevaah," Tammy mumbled her response and seemed to fall unconscious again.

Kaira couldn't tell if the older woman could even hear her or whether she was simply mumbling words while unconscious. Nonetheless, Tammy's words reassured Kaira in the decision that she made.

"Thank you, I think that's all I needed to hear," Kaira squeezed her hand before turning around and caressing the side of Becca's face. She looked paler, a ghost like shadow loomed over her features.

"I promise, you will go back to school and see all your friends very soon, my sweet little Becca," Kaira whispered before laying a kiss on her forehead and heading out with Simba.

***
Kaira's feet brought her to the concert just outside the hospital. It had begun at 9 pm and now around 40 minutes has passed since the doctor warned Tammy and Al to pay the fees.

She did not panic though. Her wolf could feel Alpha Crimson's presence. He was very close, it would be a matter of minutes before he exited his car, and caught her real scent. Up until now, she had masked her scent with perfumes but not this time.

Kaira let simba run around the grass, knowing that he would follow her when it was time. She allowed herself to get lost in the music. A local band was playing their last song of the night which was Kaira's favourite song called 'All I want" by Kodaline up on the front stage. There were beautiful lights strung across the field that led all the way to the front stage.

Kaira stood at the centre of the field, surrounded by many people. Most were couples, some were patients from the hospital. The local band played beautifully, everyone was focused on the music and did not notice Kaira's presence despite the billion dollar bounty placed on her.