Chapter 18

Looking around the dining room, Kaira sat in a daze as chatter filled the room. Seated at the head of the table was Alpha Crimson with Kaira sitting on his right. His mother, Katherine, sat on his left and beside her, his sister, Leighton sat chatting away happily with everyone. She certainly liked to talk a lot, unlike her stoic brother.

Beta Zachariah's mother, Mary, sat beside Kaira and Beta Zachariah and Theta Grant sat on the same side. It had been so long since Kaira had a home cooked meal, and she desperately tried to stop the tears that threatened to spill.

"Are you alright, my sweet Kaira? Would you like something else to eat?" Alpha Crimson questioned in a gentle tone as he lifted his hand to caress her soft cheek but she flinched back in her seat.

Frowning, Alpha Crimson looked towards the other members present in the dining room who looked confused as well. He had been observing his mate since the start of the meal, other than a few words here and there, she sat there quietly with her head hanging down and barely ate the warm food on her plate.

Kaira kept her head hanging low with her long dark brown hair covering her face. Her shoulders began to shake slightly. By now, silence fell over the dining room as tears could be seen dropping from her pale face onto her lap where her hands were kept folded together tightly.

"Oh no! I'm sorry, sweety. I didn't know what kind of food you like. Tell mom now, i'll go make it!" Katherine quickly rose from her chair and was about to go cook something for Kaira but was stopped when she felt the petite girl latch onto her wrist.

"No, it's okay. Really," Kaira spoke quickly as her cheeks flushed red and her big hazel eyes glistened with unshed tears. She looked like an injured bunny, making everyone in the room want to protect her innocence.

Alpha Crimson took one look at her vulnerable, innocent face and fought the urge to pull her onto his lap. His wolf was whining as well, they both wanted to know what was bothering his mate.

"Are you sure, sweety? You don't need to force yourself to eat, Mom won't be upset. I can go cook something else quickly," Katherine stated as she frowned at the young girl who was forcing a smile onto her face to reassure everyone.

"No, really. I love everything you made. It's just...I thought of the last time I ate a home cooked meal made with so much love... and I couldn't remember," Kaira started off strong but her voice cracked at the end, indicating just how much pain she felt.

Alpha Crimson couldn't control himself a second longer. He swiftly picked up his mate, who yelped in surprise as he placed her on his knees. At any other moment of the day, Kaira would have fought against his tight hold and scrambled away from the man. But right now, she craved his warmth and comfort. Plus, she wanted to fool everyone into thinking that she was in love with him.

Without further hesitation, Kaira quickly buried her face into the crook of his neck and smiled as she felt him rub her back in soothing circles. Katherine smiled at her son's caring nature, which she hadn't seen in a very long time. She felt incredibly grateful for her daughter-in-law who was slowly melting his cold heart.

"Don't worry, mom will cook food for you whenever you want. Alright?" Katherine promised as Kaira lifted her head and nodded with a teary eyed smile.

"Thank you...mom" Kaira whispered and flushed red when everyone exclaimed 'Aw' at her cuteness. She quickly buried her face into her mate's warm embrace and pounded her fists against his hard chest when she felt his vibrations as he chuckled at her.

***

After diner, Alpha Crimson disappeared into his study with Beta Zachariah and Theta Grant to complete a treaty between his pack and a neighboring pack. At first, he refused to leave Kaira alone but once the other ladies promised to take good care of her, he reluctantly left her side.