Chapter 33: Independence Day Part 2

Percy's POV

I'm smiling at the boys proudly when their mentors walk in.

Flash: Make yourselves at home.

He makes a grand jester while Robin and Kid Flash literally jump into chairs. Goofs. However Aqualad and I calmly take the couch across from them. Speedy remains standing. He is looking at the Leaguers with an expecting look on his face. I have a feeling that this won't end well.

Batman looks to the other adults.

Batman: Quick debrief to discuss the coincidence of four Ice Villains attacking on the same day.

He looks at us.

Batman: We shouldn't be long.

He turns to another door. A scanner pops out.

Computer Voice: Recognize: Batman; 0-2, Aquaman; 0-6, Flash; 0-4, Green Arrow; 0-8, Martian Man hunter; 0-7, Red Tornadoes; 1-6.

I know that the door is one of the many zeta tubes that are located through out the world.

Speedy: That's it?

Me: Uh-oh.

Speedy: You promised us a real look inside. Not a glorified backstage pass.

He crosses his arm, showing his irritation. After all, you can't see his eyes because of the lenses in his mask.

Aquaman: It's a first step. You've been granted access few others get.

Speedy points to the people taking pictures on the other side of the sound proof glass. Err, I think its sound proof. No it is. The League is too smart to be that careless, and by League I mean Bruce.

Green Arrow: Roy you must be patient.

Speedy: What I need is respect.

He turns to the other boys.

Speedy: They're treating us like kids. Worse- like sidekicks. We deserve better than this.

By now Roy's anger is through the roof. My other friends just look at each other.

Speedy: your kidding right? Your playing their game!? Why!? Today was supposed to be the day, step one in becoming full-fledged members of the League.

Kid Flash looks at Robin and Aqualad. Then he sits himself up straighter while looking up at the older team.

Kid Flash: Well sure, but I thought step one was the tour of HQ.

Speedy: Except the Hall isn't the League's real HQ!

The others look shocked. Like they don't know.... Oh Gods! They don't know! They don't know that the Watchtower is HQ.

Me: Wait a minute. You don't know?

Robin: Know what?

Speedy: The Hall is a false front for tourist and a pit stop for catching zeta-beam teleport-tubes to the real thing. An orbiting satellite called the Watchtower.

Batman glares at Green Arrow.

Green Arrow: I know, I know, but I thought we could make an exception. Like Percy.

Me: Hey! Dad couldn't find a baby sitter.

Batman keeps on glaring. He is taking my side.

Green Arrow: Or not.

Aquaman steps up slightly. Gods, this won't end well. I believe I've said this before. Oh well, repeating that only adds on to my point.

Aquaman: You're not helping your cause here son. Stand down or...

Speedy: Or what? You'll send me to my room? And I'm not your son!

He turns to Green Arrow.

Speedy: I'm not even his. I thought I was his partner, but not any more.

He takes of his hat and throws it to the ground. I gasp.

Me: Roy, calm down. Think this through before you do something you'll regret.

His expression softens.

Speedy: I have thought this through. I've had enough. I'm done here. Good bye Percy.

I look to the other protégés for help. They stand up, attempting to change their friends mind. Speedy walks past us.

Speedy: Guess they were right about you three. You're not ready.

With that said he walks out of the library. All we could do was watch.