IV 💙

Cj Barton

"So. The body works in very interesting ways," Miss Blum says and perches herself on top of her desk.

She fixes a gaze on me and I'm wondering...she's been doing that since the lesson began.

I hold her gaze. Hers falters. She continues with the lesson.

"But today's session is solely on plants as we can see the topic on the board," she continues.

I notice a hand shoot up three seats away from me.

Redhead. Probably Adrian. I forget.

"Yes, Mr Goldfield, you have a question?" Miss Blum asks.

"I don't know," he mumurs, cocking his head to the left.

Miss Blum has this odd expression on her face.

"Do you have a question or not Adrian?" She asks quickly.

Yeah...Adrian. That's the name.

"You seem to have something stuck in your front teeth. Mind looking in a mirror?" He says.

Miss Blum's cheeks go pink immediately and the class -the one that seemed dead about a minute ago - erupts in a fit of laughter.

Another guy sitting behind Adrian taps him and they do a high five.

"That's enough everyone!" Blum shouts and as if controlled by a remote or something, the laughing dies away, "Adrian, go straight to Mrs. Clinton right now! Tell her you disrupted the lesson."

"I was only being honest," he snorts.

"I said Mrs. Clinton. Now! And I'm writing you up," she barks.

Adrian stands up and trudges to the door looking really innocent.

"Seriously though," he says just before he leaves the classroom, "did you have zucchini this morning? It's sorta green, the thing stuck between your teeth. Look in the mirror properly next time, Miss Blum, okay? You should take care of yourself more often."

"Heavens! I DID NOT HAVE ZUCCHINI THIS MORNING! Now get out of ny class and head straight to Mrs Clinton," Miss Blum explodes.

The laugh that had been quickly smothered erupts once more and this time I join them.

Though it is only a smile. At least I think it is until I look out the window...

Miss Blum yelling "SHUT UP!"

The snickering and laughing and...

"Dude! What the hell is going on?" I yell above the shooting as I crouch down beside Allen behind an old car.

"I don't know bro. They said a member from Kurt's gang had been killed or something and Kurt's now a raving lunatic who obviously wants revenge," Allen yells.

"What? Wait, how did that happen? I mean...we...we weren't fighting anymore? Right?" I say.

The shooting stops for a minute or so and there's this thick silence.

"I don't know man, you're the leader not me," Allen said.

"Are there any of our guys down?" I ask.

"Yeah. Probably. We need to get out of here, Cj," Allen shouts as the sporadic shooting starts up again.

"Alright, um...uh...where's Kurt?" I ask.