XVIII 🗣

Cj Barton

I walk up to my locker, more than eager to drop off the heavy AP Biology textbooks I had in my hands.

Entering my combination, the locker clicks open. I begin stuffing the textbooks into the locker, one by one. Halfway stuffing it and someone shouts my name.

"Cj!"

I stuff the rest of the textbooks into the locker and shut it then look in the direction of the voice.

Miranda.

"Hey, Cj," she beams walking up to me, her high-heeled boots making this, unusual, irritating, clickedy-clackedy noise on the stone floor.

"Miranda?" I say, digging my hands into my pockets and leaning against my locker.

"Cj. So, I'm throwing a party at my place. This Saturday," she says, twirling a strand of her hair around her finger, "wanna come?"

Parties. I hate parties. Sorta. And this might be my third time of turning Miranda down. Not that I cared much but...you know.

"Uh...I'm not..." I begin when she cuts in.

"Please don't say no. Please?" She  pouts, "I mean, you always say no."

She makes this face which makes her look like a lost puppy but certainly doesn't melt my heart or make me think twice about going for her party or anything.

"I can't make it, Miranda. Trust me, I would have wanted to (yeah, right), but I'm not sure I can be there," I say.

"Come on, just this once, Cj," she says grabbing my arm, "What's up with you and not going to parties anyway? If you feel they're always a bore, trust me, mine isn't."

I don't say anything.

"So would you come?" She asks leaning in and pushing her face up mine, invading my personal space. Too close.

"I'll think about it," I say.

She loosens her grip on my arm.

"Does that mean it's a no?"

"I didn't say that, but, I guess it's pretty much the case," I say and smirk.

"You think this is funny?" She sneers.

I shrug.

"I'm done with this," she huffs and begins to walk away, "arrogant, egotistical...."

"Bitch?" I complete for her.

She stops, turns around, sticks her tongue out at me and resumes her strut of frustration.

I notice Leon and Lou walking over to me.

"Damn, that is one seriously fuming..." Leon begins when I cut in.

"Bitch?" I say completing his statement.

"I was going to say lady, but, both can serve," he chuckles.

"Why's she so upset?" Lou asks.

"Um, lemme see, so, she asked me to her party which is on Saturday. I told her I can't make it. Then she made that face. The one we all know..."

"The one that annoys the shit out of Adrian?" Lou quips, grinning.

"You bet. So she made the face and I still said no. Then she told me how her parties aren't a bore and that I should come. I told her I might think about it and boom, she's fuming," I say.

"Trust me, Miranda Jenner hates these two statements, 'no' and 'I'd think about it' for an answer," Leon chuckles.

"Pretty much explains," I mutter.