XVI 🌹

They're his parents!

I watch as the woman pushes past the girl in front of her, steps up to the treshold and wraps her arms around Cj's neck.

"Cj," she mumurs, burying her face in his neck.

The blonde girl steps into the house and the man follows suit, shutting the door behind him.

Suddenly Cj turns towards me as the woman pulls away.

"Go inside, Hillary," he says in a serious tone. "And stay there...till they leave."

I walk out of the living room silently just as the girl says, "Hello, Cj."

I don't go inside. I can't. My curiosity won't let me so I stand behind the wall just outside the living room and crane my ears to hear.

"So, you would leave the comfort of home in Brooklyn to come and live...here," I hear the man say although his voice is muffled.

Damn, his words were dripping scorn.

"Well, I'm the one living here, not you. You shouldn't be complaining," I hear Cj say back. "And besides, I'm 18, which means I get to decide where I want to live."

Well, that's rude. I can already establish the fact that Cj has a bad relationship with his dad.

"I didn't come here for this, Cj," his dad says.

I peep out a little. Cj's parents are seated on one of the couches while his sister stands at a corner fixating on her black nail polish.

"Cj, you have to go back with us to Brooklyn," his mom says gazing up at him.

"I'm not doing that mom," Cj deadpans, crossing his arms.

"But you have to," she says standing up, "I mean, it's not right for you to be so far away from us, Cj, don't you know that?"

"If he doesn't want to go with us, mom, then so be it," the girl says, shrugging.

Huh...

Cj has a really weird family.

"You're going back to Brooklyn with us, Cj, whether you like it or not," his dad says.

Cj scoffs. "Make me, old man."

Jeez, ouch.

"Cj, stop it," his mother says, holding his forearm. "Don't."

I can tell his mom's soft hearted...

Cj looks at her warmly but doesn't say anything.

Suddenly the girl looks up from her nails (which she had gone back to) and at me.

I gasp and move away from the wall immediately, running into the kitchen, my heart thumping.

Why am I so scared anyway? Of someone even Jeremy is older than let alone me.

I don't know, but in some way, Cj's family (him and, probably, his mom excluded) scared me. Especially his sister.

She had this evil aura around her.

And why had Cj left his family all the way from Brooklyn to Seattle. Why?

I hear boot steps in the hallway. Someone's coming.

I open the fridge immediately and pretend to be looking for something to drink.

The boot steps stop just outside the kitchen.

What are you behaving like a poor, scared rat for, Hillary. You shouldn't be acting this way.

I grab a soda can and shut the fridge then straighten up and turn around.