제 6 장

| Do not forget! There is music in the multimedia! For better reading experience, play as you read|

Two weeks later..

Jae had gotten up early to grab breakfast and coffee for us both, and he still met me asleep on his bed. He nudged me awake, and placed a sausage, egg, and cheese croissant on the nightstand with a cup of coffee, and two ibuprofen tablets for the constant headache and heartburn I felt when I woke up, and during the day. I brushed my head of curls into a sloppy bun and brushed my teeth after I got out of the shower . " Baby, I'm gonna head to work first in like an hour, if you feel worse please go straight home or go to the hospital please" He says before kissing my cheek and pulling off his shirt.
I nodded as I brushed my teeth and he turns on the shower.

Jae and I had become so close in such a short amount of time. I often wondered if we moved too fast. I became his, when he asked in such a benevolent manner, as he thrusted into me on his couch about just two weeks ago. I truly believe that I was his claim the moment we first locked lips. The days stood still these days, and although I was in his arms most nights, I couldn't find sleep. Some nights he tried to stay awake, but I never wanted him to.

Jae jumped in the shower and started humming and singing little lines in Korean. I was washing my face when I heard his phone go off. I ignored it at first, but then it off once twice and three  more times. I grabbed his phone from the counter and I saw that there were 79 missed calls from Father, and two messages  from Angeline.

You should answer your father's phone calls he's not very happy Jae Eun. It's your own fault, take the consequence.

And

Jae Eun, What you did was disgraceful. How can you walk the streets with that woman? I don't approve. If this is another phase of yours, this I will not support.

" Baby, can you hand my towel please?" He asks me and I place his phone down. I don't know who or what woman the messages spoke about, but I knew his father was not happy with him. My intuition told me that I had become a factor in his father's anger, but I couldn't face reason. Why would I play a part in this? Nevertheless, I handed Jae his towel and did not meet his eyes. He climbed out of the shower and wrapped the towel around his waist. His lean build although very distracting, had not been able to pull my wondering thoughts. Could I ask him about it? Would he be offended that I looked at his phone? I decided to do otherwise and not bring it up, and fix my working attitude.

   I rinse my face again then I hear Jae answer his phone. He spoke in hushed tone, whereas the caller seemed to be yelling so loudly that I could at least make out that it was a man. I stand in the bathroom door frame staring at his back. " I'm not going to always abide to your wishes. This matter has nothing to do with my work. Stop interfering in my private life" He says in a calm manner, he must have pressed the speaker on accident because suddenly the man's voice is loud and clearly.

"It's not so private, when you walk around carrying my name with that black girl!" I bit my lip, Jae rushes to turn it off, turning around in hopes I hadn't hear it, but rest assured that I did.

             •.                 •.             •

         " Athena, would you listen to me?" Jae pleads as he follows me down the sidewalk. I had said nothing after Jae ended that call. I grabbed my belongings that I brought with me and he frowned as he saw me stuff the items in my purse and slip on my shoes. Jae grabs onto my arm and turns me around to face him. " Are you gonna leave again? Just like that? Athena it's no—

——Jae don't you dare make an excuses for a blatant racism. I don't want to hear not a single thing. You can tell your father that this black woman, is much more her skin color. I am the sweat on my forehead, and the blood on my hands.  You can't justify anything your father has said" I spat, my chest heaved. I was hurt, no I was offended, I was outraged. Jae eyes wavered and held my hands to his chest.

    " I am not making excuses for him Athena. That is him, and I am me. I care about you Athena. I don't care about what my father says." Jae says running his thumbs over my closed fists. " I'd rather spend the rest of my days, trapped in my loneliness, let it drive me to insanity, that would be more ok than being discriminated and treated like scum because the color of my god damned skin" I ripped my hands away from him.

" Athena I k—

——No Jae. I don't want to hear it. I have to go" I say softly. I walked away, my heart shattered on the boardwalk and it stayed there. It served me right. I didn't belong here. " Athena!" For the first time ever Jae actually yelled. He yelled my name. He said my name loudly over and over, but I didn't turn around. I wouldn't turn around. I was much stronger than that. I know my worth, I knew that I was made of bricks, grace, and divinity. No one would defame me and cast me down. In iron armor I'd fight an army before I'd let someone rob me of my pride. My was angry, but tears came. I wouldn't see Jae again, no matter how much he called me.