Chapter 18: A Team and a Purpose

It was a smart plan, I wouldn't deny that, but it was one that was going to be increasingly difficult for me to deal with. I don't know what would happen but I would have to rely on my team to keep me safe. Bruce took a while to convince, but even he couldn't deny it was a good plan. Kaira was quite proud of herself for coming up with it.

"We'll meet at Mount Justice to debrief the rest of the team." Bruce said.

"Thank you Bruce." I smiled and began to walk away.

"Hold on. Dick and Kaira you can go. Wally and Amelia. Stay."

I visibly gulped and I watched as Wally got this look of fear on his face. We saw Dick and Kaira snickering as they ran out of the Batcave. Wally and I walked towards Bruce, both of us having a look of fear on our faces as we prepared for the lecture Bruce was about to give us.

"Wally. You first. Care to explain what I walked in on?"

"Not really." he mumbled.

"It wasn't a request." Bruce glared.

"All I was trying to do was tickle her until she told me a secret. Nothing happened."

"Was anything going to happen?" Bruce asked.

"No, sir."

"God Bruce just leave it alone. Nothing happened. Stop being so over-protective." I sighed.

"If I ever see that again, I will be very displeased. Wally, please go home and sleep. We will see you tomorrow at Mount Justice." Bruce said.

"Alright. See you Amelia." Wally said, speeding off.

I turned to Bruce and I glared at him. For a while, his face remained stoic, no emotion at all as usual. Then I saw as his mouth slipped into a smirk that would seem evil to anyone who wasn't the daughter of the Joker. I wanted to punch him. So I did. I guess he wasn't expecting it because there is no way that I should have been able to hit him. I think he was more shocked than I was. I watched as the smirk fell off of his face and his face hardened once more. I prepared for a fight. I knew that he wasn't actually mad, so I was safe. I saw Bruce move his arm, going in for a punch and I moved my head to the side. I was smiling widely and flipped back away from him. I saw him move to follow me and I dodged the neat blow he tried to land. It was common rule when we were sparring for me not to use my powers. It was only fair if we did hand-to-hand combat. I felt him punch me in the chest and I was sent backwards, but I recovered quickly. We continued fighting like this until he knocked me to the ground.

"Yield." I gasped out.

"You're getting better. You even managed to get in a few good hits." Bruce said, helping me up.

"Of course I'm getting better! I've been training long enough to hope for that."

"I noticed that you didn't use your super strength. Before you used to use whenever you got the chance."

"I have control over it now. Before I didn't. Also I wanted to hurt you a little bit back then." I said.

"Even though you couldn't land a punch?"

"Shut up! I was untrained. I could land a punch with Kaira." I mumbled.

"Speaking of Kaira, how has her relationship with Kaldur been going?"

"Alright. They seem happy and content enough." 

"Do you think their relationship will get in the way?" Bruce asked.

"It hasn't so far. Why should it now?" I said, smiling as I left the Batcave.

The next day we all met at Mount Justice. The team had been debriefed on the plan. Not too many of them were thrilled about it, but we all knew it was the best idea. All of us got dressed into our costumes. I was nervous. God I was extremely nervous. This could go good or bad and I was praying to God it would turn out okay. That nobody would get hurt. If everything went according to plan then we would all be fine. I was really not in the mood to get shot with more kryptonite bullets. I tied my mask around my head and joined the rest of the team. I saw Kaira standing with Kaldur and then she leaned in to kiss him and I turned away, feeling like I was invading their privacy. I looked around and everybody was talking to somebody. Artemis, Zatanna, and Rocket were all talking, Kaldur and Kaira, Megan and Conner, and Dick and Wally. I sighed and sat on the floor by myself. I felt the urge to laugh and I had to swallow it down. I only inherited one thing from my father, and that was his maniacal laughter. I did not want them to know that. Hell even Bats didn't know that I laughed like a psychopath. I could feel it trying to slip out of my mouth. I looked up and saw Kaira smirking. She was the only one who knew that I laughed like that and she had found that out when were in high school together. She walked away from Kaldur and began tickling my neck. I bit my lip, trying to force the laughter back, but to no avail. I began laughing like a maniac and even though Kaira had stopped tickling me, I was still laughing.