Part 1: Strong Enough

I wake up to the sound of Kehlani crying for the third time at 3:12 in the morning

I wake up to the sound of Kehlani crying for the third time at 3:12 in the morning. I take a deep breath and curse to myself, shaking my head before dragging myself out of bed, as tired as I don't know what. I walk out of the master bedroom of my parent's guest house to the room that was previously my dad's man cave that is now turned into Kehlani's temporary nursery that my mom obviously decorated like it was permanent.

 I walk out of the master bedroom of my parent's guest house to the room that was previously my dad's man cave that is now turned into Kehlani's temporary nursery that my mom obviously decorated like it was permanent

The light from the lamp shines down on Kehlani's crib as I gently pick her up shushing and bouncing her trying to figure out what's wrong this time. Her diaper wasn't heavy or wet, I fed her when she woke up, and I burped her after she ate, so I don't know what it could be. I hold her against my chest trying to calm her down, patting her back just in case she needs to be burped again or just wants to be held. Her crying starts to calm down once she notices the rhythm of me rocking back and forth in the rocking chair near the window. "Shh, it's okay baby. Mama's got you."

One thing that I've quickly learned about Kehlani is that she just loves being held, if you don't hold her for long enough, she starts crying. But only by people she likes, me, my mother, Diaz, and Stephanie. Aaron and my father have huge muscles, which scares her.

The alarm to the front door goes off before I see my dad walk into the room with Ditri in his arms, clinging to his neck before he stretches his arms out to me. "He had a bad dream, Honey. Have you spoken to Abel yet, it's been two weeks since he left for...? Cambodia?"

"Colombia, Dad." I smile at him as Ditri comes to me with his finger in his mouth. "Our friend's grandpa passed away and he's there for support. But I'll keep Ditri for the night."

"Alright Honey, do you need me to turn on the white noise machine?"

"Yes please, I put it on a timer but don't know how to take it off." I play with Ditri's curls as my dad as he turns the machine on which puts Kehlani to sleep in minutes.

"Alright baby girl, come on in the house when you're ready for breakfast tomorrow." Dad kisses me on head before he walks to the door.

"Good night, grandfather." Ditri waves leaning his head against my knees. Dad has easily become Ditri's favorite person when Abel and I aren't around, he is a huge sucker for my father.