Part 8 - The Masks Are On

-Abel-

-
Abel
-

In the morning I pull into Odessa's driveway just to check up on her because I haven't seen her in a while. You know, she's the only person that I can talk to and come out of a conversation actually feeling good about myself or that I learned something. She's like a breath of fresh air that I need right now, very neutral.

"Hey!" Dessa answers with her bright smile, pulling me into a hug.

I laugh heartedly taking her in before we separate and she invites me in her kitchen

I laugh heartedly taking her in before we separate and she invites me in her kitchen. The kitchen must be Dessa's safe haven cause every time I come over she's cooking or baking something.

"So where's my niece at?" I ask sitting at the barstool watching Dessa maneuver her way through her kitchen. "Usually I hear her playing in the playroom or eating cookies in the living room."

"She," Dessa says adding Vanilla extract in a bowl. "Is finally with her father. So it's just until Monday when I pick her up from school. But my sister is staying upstairs so I'm not all alone."

"I thought she was supposed to be at college," I say with a confused look on my face.

"She is she just decided to come home for the weekend since she was feeling a little homesick."

"Already? She only been there for a month."

"Hey, college is different for everybody. She'll be gone tonight I'm not too worried. And you came just in time cause I'm making breakfast."

I chuckle and lean back in the barstool. "You know your food calls me to the house, every time. But you said Audrey's finally with her dad? What's going on there?"

Dessa takes a long sigh walking over to a cabinet and then pulling out her waffle iron. "I don't know, you give that man an inch, he takes the whole damn country. I can't sit up here and pull our daughter out of school when I have to fly out to check up on my little brother. And on top of that, when I am here he doesn't want to mane effort to see his own daughter."

"You think it has anything to do with you dating again? Cause you guys are getting pretty serious I assume."

"Hell yeah, we've been together for almost a year. And I found out Drake knew about me and Rick before I even told him about us. So, what is there to be mad over? Like, you're not about to get mad at me and ignore your child." Dessa takes a very deep breath before returning to her happy usual self again. "Anyways, how're the babies?"