twelve

sunday morning | los angeles, california

————————

  "I have so much I want to do, Nia." Jamila expressed to me as we made our way to have brunch with our family.

Jamila wanted to ride with me so we could have that sisterly talk. It had been a minute since we had one of those and she was growing up so fast.

   Plus, she was so intelligent and aware for her age. She was far more advanced than I was at her age which says a-lot.

"Like what?" I turned to give her my full, undivided attention.

   "Mom is so heavy on education which is something that's important, I get that." She nodded. "What about the people in the system? Prisoners? Do they not deserve to be helped?"

"They do. I don't think Mom has ignored that. She knows that, but it's only so much one person can do, Grace."

    Jamila nodded her head in agreement. "That's true. That's why I want to incorporate some things into her foundation, like you have. You focus on helping children in need in the arts. I want to help adults in prison get out of prison and stay out."

I looked at her, smiling a bit. "I love the idea. I think you should definitely talk to her about it. I'm sure she'd be open to it. But you know mom, you need a plan."

   "California has an overwhelming population of offenders who were just smoking or selling weed. Weed is legal now here in the state." Jamila continued.

I crossed my legs in my seat. "Mom isn't very political."

   "I know. That's a problem for me."

I shook my head. "Beyond that, how are you going to convince her to get political?"

   Jamila shrugged. "I'm not sure. I'm still trying to put everything I want to do into words."

I smiled at my baby sis, messing with the curls in her hair. "You're fifteen, Grace. I love how you want to be involved, but don't forget to be a kid."

   "I'm not. I'm on the cheerleading squad. I have friends, I go to the movies and all of that." She looked up at me.

"Okay." I nodded. "I'm just checking. I don't want you to get caught up in trying to be like Mommy. The bar is in heaven." I smirked.

   Jamila laughed, nodding her head in agreement. "That's true."

"How are you and-" I paused mid-sentence and snapped my fingers in hopes of remembering the boy's name. A light bulb eventually went off. "Connor."

"I broke up with him." She replied nonchalantly.

"What?" I looked at her. "Why?"

"I realized I didn't really like him." She paused. "Or boys in general." She added.

Our driver and bodyguard both coughed as if they were choking. My eyes widened and I had to swallow some spit. If she was telling me what I think she was telling me...

"Are you saying that-"

"I like girls." Jamila confirmed.

I cleared my throat, enjoying this tea because it was scorching. "Well," I started. "How long have you known that?"

Jamila looked back at me. "A while now. It was kind of weird having boys pushed on me. I mean Daddy doesn't want me to date but of course he wants his daughter to have a husband who treats me like he treats me."