Chapter 8

"I can't believe you decided to come Nat." Chloe said enthusiastically as we made our way down the dark street. It was cool out and that was why I currently had Chloe's hoodie on and she had on a light sweater. Chloe was always better at taking the cold than I was.

I shrugged my shoulders, "why not? It's Friday and I have nothing better to do."

Chloe looped her arm around mine and we continued to her new boyfriend's house who would be driving us to the fight. I didn't have a car because my parents couldn't afford it, but Chloe didn't have a car because she continually wrecked hers. She was horrible at paying attention to the road and couldn't multitask so her two cars both ended up hitting something and her parents finally decided no more.

"Is this the boy you were talking to at school?"

"Nope, I dumped him."

"You two went out?"

"For like an hour Nat, he's such a player and scumbag."

I laughed as Chloe rolled her eyes and shook her head at nerve of some men. We continued walking through the night until we came up to a yellow house and Chloe stopped. She motioned for me to stay quiet by the fence and I gladly accepted that offer. Something to lean on was a girl's best friend in heels. Wearing heels probably wasn't the best idea I ever had, but I wanted to look good. Almost everyone from our school was going to be there and some other people too. I had to look good.

Chloe crept up to the house and knocked lightly on the door in a rhythm. Everybody was sneaking out tonight. A tall tanned white boy came out of the house and grabbed Chloe's hand.

"Nat this is Des, Des this is Nat."

"Hey." I said and shook his hand lightly. He released my hand and fumbled through his pocket for his car keys. Once he found them he opened both mine and Chloe's door and went around to start the car. I stared out the window in boredom as Des and Chloe flirted with each other.

Des stopped at a house and honked his horn. A few seconds later Mr.Tall, dark, and handsome ran out. He got into the back seat with me and closed the door as Des drove off quickly.

"Ezekiel, this is Chloe and Nat. This is Ezekiel, but you can call him E."

I stared at the handsome creature in front of me. He was dark skinned and had a slight Afro, but it was tamed nicely. He had dark brown eyes and muscles that bulged from his short sleeved football shirt.

And he play football.

Ezekiel looked over at me and smiled before saying hey to Des and strapping on his seat belt.

"This fight is suppose to be big." He said as he turned to me. I nodded for some reason finding it hard and extremely difficult to break the ice with him.

"Yep, everyone's going."

"Yeah, everyone from mr college even said they were going."

"You're in college?" I questioned and then felt extremely dumb.

"Yeah, I'm study law."

"Ha, that fun?"

"Not really, but I want to get a stable career so I can make money."

"Money can't make you happy."

"You're obviously spending your money on the wrong things." He joked and we both laughed. After breaking the ice, conversation between me and him seemed like it would never end. We talked and laughed and by the time we got to the fight, I didn't even want to get out.