Chapter 25

"Nat, how many times do I have to explain to you she's just a friend? I went over to her house to play video games, nothing more than that."

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose. This was the conversation between Toby and I since he called this morning. He kept saying something about wanting to make it right and for me to start trusting and believing him. I trusted Toby, but am I really suppose to be naive enough to trust you around your ex-fuck buddy?

"Toby you have some serious maturing to do. You can't have your cake and eat it to. I am not the type of girlfriend to cut you off from the world, that's the last thing I want to do. I want you to have friends and I'll have friends so we won't be up each other's neck every second, but she isn't just some friend."

"You're right Nat, she wasn't a friend some time back, but that's all she is now. Natalie I told you how I feel about you and I would never go back on my word about that by cheating on you. Look, I won't hang out with Nyla as much. I'm not going to drop her completely because she is still a friend, but I'll try to give me and her some distance."

I thought Toby's words over carefully. He could be lying and run right back to his little 'friend' after we hang up the phone, or he could be genuinely serious. His voice was flat which made it hard to tell whether or not he was telling the truth.

I sighed.

"You promise Toby?"

"Of course babe, I'll do anything so I won't lose you again."

"And you're not running back to Nyla?"

"If you don't want me to, I won't."

I sighed, "I'm trusting you Toby. If you mess this up, you won't just lose this relationship, you'll lose my trust."

"I won't miss this up Nat and I'm sorry."

"Let's talk about something else. How was school?"

"I didn't go. I couldn't go."

"Why not?" I asked worriedly. Toby had been beginning to skip school more frequently and that was a dangerous move during your senior year.

"I have a fight coming up, but it's different from my usual fights."

"How so?"

"I'm getting paid to lose. If I don't lose convincingly, I'll have a bullet blown through my brains. I kinda wanna keep everything on this perfect body intact."

I chuckled softly, "I don't like that idea Toby. That's extremely dangerous."

"I know that, but I have to get out of this house. My mom is marrying her boyfriend and I refuse to be in this house when that happens. How could she? Shit all over my dad's legacy with that scumbag."

"Maybe Toby, but I don't think you should move out."

"Why not?"

"Because you're the only thing she has left of your father. Every time she looks at you she'll see a little piece of him. His personality, his looks, his attitude. If you leave Toby, your mother will have nothing left. She won't have a protector, a friend, and most of all, she won't have him around anymore."

I could hear Toby tearing up on the other side of the line and that made my heart swell. I hated the idea of my Toby shedding tears.

"I gotta go Nat, but I'll talk to you later. Bye."

Toby hung up the phone quickly which was typical of him sense he didn't exactly like to express what he was feeling. In some ways it annoyed me, I understand he probably didn't want to talk to me because I had a father and couldn't understand anything he was going through, but I still didn't want him to cut my off completely.

I sighed again and shook my head before sliding under my covers and going to sleep.

Author's Note

See, that's what I'm talking about. Toby does all this horrible stuff and then talks about his father and it nearly brings you to tears. I got that little feeling in your throat when you're about to cry writing the end of this chapter. I would be an emotional wreck if I ever lost one of my parents.

On a completely different note, how do you guys like the new cover? I found the picture I used for the original cover so that might be coming back.

What do you think about Toatlie/Noby right now. I mean, things seem a bit rocky. But Toby says he's going to to be loyal, so he's going to be, right?

Vote, follow, and leave a comment of your opinion. Thank you.