Chapter 19

Natalie's Point of View

Today was my dreaded moving day. The day I would pack all the stuff in my room up and move to the side of town I had tried to stray away from. Toby offered as much support as he could and I truly appreciated it. But there was no prolonging it and after I had my things gathered, I trudged downstairs. I knew that my father's house wouldn't be my permeant home, but it still hurt to be leaving. I touched the unpainted walls as I walked downstairs and through my bags against the side of the door.

I took out my phone and fought through some tears to text Chloe, Nina, and Toby. The messages all started out the same and I told them to brace themselves just in case I couldn't go to the same school. I added in different stuff for each person to make the text messages personal. I could barely type anything through the tears forming in the corner of my eyes. It hadn't been five seconds since I hit sent and Toby was calling.

"Bullshit! I'm calling it as bullshit Natalie! I'll move across town and be called names everyday, but I'm not about to just let you walk."

"That's really sweet Toby, but you don't have to do that. We'll still meet up and I'll come to your house sometimes."

"About that-"

"What happened Toby?"

"My mom kicked me out of the house, before you start worrying, I'm fine. I'm staying with one of the fight coordinators."

"Toby that's awful, why?"

"Cause my mom's my mom. I love her, but I swear that woman will make me commit a felony. Enough about me though, are you going to be okay?"

"I'll be fine, what about you?"

"I just have to do some more fights, but I'll be okay. I just want to make sure we'll still have time for each other."

"We'll always have time for each other jackass," I said playfully.

"Aye, watch it." He warned in the same playfully we shared a laugh before I heard my dad's door close.

"Toby," I whined into the phone one more time.

"Hey, everything is going to be fine. If we can survive each other's personality, we can survive any and everything. Thank you Natalie."

"For what Toby?"

"For giving me a reason to smile."

The phone clicked off before I could question anything. Tears rolled gently down my cheeks and landed on my neck and collar bone. My dad opened the door and walked in looking taller and more muscular. He whispered a greeting, picked up my bags, and went back through the door.

I wiped the tears with my wrist and sniffled lightly. I said one last goodbye to my house and climbed slowly into my dad's car.

"You know what happens Monday?"

"No." I answered my father softly.

"New school."