Chapter 32

Natalie's Point of View

I stared blankly down at the shiny piece of metal in the center of Toby's hand. Everything seemed to surreal, I felt as if I was having one of those out of body experiences and looking in onto my life instead of actually living it. The diner didn't seem to be bubbling with life, it seemed extremely dead and extremely still. Toby still sat in front of me, his eyes hopeful and his palms slightly sweaty. I licked my lips and reached out to touch the metal. There was a slight shock when I ran my fingers across it.

"I know it's a lot to take in, trust me, when I was planning on asking you, it was a lot for me," Toby paused, "say something Natalie, it doesn't have to be yes, just something."

"Toby," I breathed out feeling breathless and light-headed, " I don't know what to say, I have feelings for you, but marriage? At this age? Don't you think that's kinda of a lot?"

"I know it's a lot, I know being a military wife will be far from being easy, but I want to know I'm the only man in your life. If I die I want someone to carry out my legacy," Toby paused, "you don't have to say yes, if you want nothing more to do with me, I understand. I was a jerk and I don't really deserve your love and forgiveness, but I'm begging for it baby."

Words wouldn't leave my mouth. My mouth would open and close but only air would move. The waiter came and sat out orders in front of us, Toby sat the ring in front of me and popped a fry into his mouth. He seemed to be relaxed, but I could tell he was attempting to hide his true nervousness as he usually did. I didn't want to say no to Toby, I loved him and didn't want to destroy our relationship or whatever we were currently in, but marriage seemed like so much. Too much, too soon.

"Keep the ring and think about it. An answer before graduation would be nice."

I nodded. Toby stood up, he placed his lips gently against my cheek and through some money on the table before walking out. I picked up the ring and continued to play with it in my hands. The cooling feeling didn't leave my system and my stomach did flips. I ate a few fries and only took one bite of my burger before taking the ring and leaving. The walk home was long and thoughtful. When I reached my father's house, his car was there which was slightly unusual since he didn't get off until late. I tucked the ring deep in my pocket and opened the front door.

"Mommy," I yelled running and bringing my mother into a deep hug. I pulled out of the hug and evaluated my mom's current status. Her arm was in a cast and her leg as well, but nothing else looked out of place. I held my mom's hand feeling instantly happier and instantly better. For a second I forgot about Toby, but as soon as the thought sprang up I felt sick again.

"You okay sweetheart?"

"I'm fine mommy, I missed you so much. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine sweetheart, this means you get to go home now and go back to school with all your friends."

I forced a smile, but now I wasn't too sure about going home. Going home and going back to school would mean having to face Toby and I wasn't sure if I wanted to be Mrs. King right now. I forced another smile to make my mom happy and held her hand.

"I love you mommy, I'm glad I'm going home."

"I'm glad you're coming home baby."

Author's Note
This is somewhat of a filler chapter, but it's kinda of important. Because, Natalie's mom is back and that means ..... Natalie's moving back home !! But how is this going to change the course of the book ? And for the last few chapters I'm going to kinda skip months in between so you don't have to read a whole school year. And, after this book is completed I'm publishing two new books and working on Sweet Tooth. Vote, follow, and comment what you think. Thank you.