Seeing Red: In the Beginning

| chapter 1 |

His name was Dean Westwood. He was 10 years old... my older brother. My twin brother. My protector.

That guy looked out for me more than our own father did before he betrayed us. Dean and I were normal kids, living our normal lives, being kids.

That was until kids started dying. Left and right... dying from the disease known as I.A.A.N. That damn disease ruptured my entire life, ruining my chance to be a normal kid again.

I remember when I woke up that morning to see my brother packing up our bags. "Dean?" I had asked. "What're you doing?"

"We have to leave Amara. Dad knows."

Our father worked for the government, and ever since kids started dying and surviving, President Gray called him and he personally was asked to work by his side during this time of hopelessness.

"Dad knows what?" He didn't listen. "Dean!"

Dean stopped what he was doing, turned to me and said, "Dad knows what you are... he knows you survived the disease. We're running away, Amara. I'm saving your life..."

Dean was right. Dad knew who I was before I was. We didn't get very far away from Dad before he caught us, and took us to a camp. This was where I discovered what I was.

Who Dean wasn't...

When they tested us, they discovered that Dean was a Yellow. He was able to control electricity, and did it very well. Me however... not so much.

I remember the first frequency test they tested on us... I remember seeing Dean fall to the ground, but I dont remember falling completely unconscious for a long period of time. Dean told me that they knew I wasn't a safe color... but something much more dangerous.

That was when the President announced that he was choosing one child in our camp to use to find a cure... and that child was me.

I dont think President Gray knew what he was doing...

One boy and one girl was what he chose. That boy just happened to be his very own son, Clancy.

Clancy was... well he was... something.

Him and I stuck together for another three years, staying together while we were experimented on. Until one day... he had had enough. He broke us free, and we ran away together. We were running for about a couple months before we finally found the perfect place to set up a camp. A sanctuary for kids like us...

Over time, the older we got...

"Happy 14th Amara!" He says, hugging me tightly.

"Thanks Clance!"

The stronger our abilities got...

"Its alright darling... I'm here." He holds my hands together.

"I cant control it!"

"Yes you can Amara... I believe in you." He says as he looks into my eyes, giving me a reassuring look.

The more we fell in love...

"Yes Clancy oh my God yes."

"I asked a few Greens to help make this ring just perfect for you..." He slips the ring onto my ring finger, letting me admire it.

"It is perfect."

The more kids found us...

"How many today, Clance?"

"Two Golds, Three Greens, and One Blue."

"Our little camp isnt so little anymore is it?"

"You're absolutely right." He responds, his arms around my waist pulling me in close for a kiss.

The more we agreed to hide my true abilities... for the good of the camp.

"Are you sure my love?"

"It's the safest thing... for the good of the camp and for you. I'm only going to get stronger." I told him, giving him closure.

My life with Clancy Gray the past few years has been blissful, and we were able to make our lives as normal as we could together. We were the most powerful and strongest kids in the camp, but that didn't change a thing.

Yes, the idea of an Orange and a Red being together sounds dangerous, but that only gave us more reason to be perfect for each other...

Until a group of rebels came into the camp... changing the way we all saw the world... and one of them was named Liam Stewart.