Seeing Red: A Price To Be Paid

| chapter 15 |

When I was first brought to the facility center where President Gray brought me after discovering I was a Red, I met Clancy.

I don't remember much, but I remember the day he helped me out of the darkness. I was 11; he might have just turned 12.

An Orange.

"Don't leave me Clance... ever." I remember pleading to him for the first time. "Promise me."

"I promise." He wore the most gentle smile that day and rubbed the tears from my cheeks. It was on that day I began trusting him and falling in love with him. I trusted Clancy with every part of me, up until the day I finally admitted to him that I was, indeed, in love.

"You-You're in love with me?" I saw the shock and joy in his young face. I couldn't help but nod, giggling. "Well I... I'm in love with you too, Amara."

We made it official that day.

Clancy and I were too young to be given this life. This life of fear, panic... death. We were too young to be giving each other all that we are.

For the past 6 years, it's been him and I. No secrets... no lies. The spark between us was formed by the ignition of our strong love and compatibility.

Now, standing along the sidelines, I watch it all burn down.

Literally.

Multiple cabins were on fire, and I couldn't feel anything but guilt... even though this was not my fault.

None of it.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Clancy. Clancy and his glowing Orange eyes.

Maybe the difficulty of our abilities and their compatibility was wrong. Maybe we were in the wrong all along.

An Orange and a Red? Living together and singing "Kumbaya" for the rest of their lives?

No.

I am a Red.

I was born to set this world on fire.

It was my destiny.

From afar, I heard someone yell, "RED!"

Well yes that's me, duh. Educate yourself kid... but then I saw the other Reds. Their flames exploded from their lungs, their cheeks glowing hot.

I am very much aware of how dangerous my kind is... but I have been privileged enough to not be used and raised like the Reds in the fireproof suits and masks. That would have been me if President Gray didn't start experimenting on my ass.

I watched in horror with Ruby as my kind exhaled huge walls of fire, burning other psi alive. I watched my entire life burn down to the ground and become nothing but ashes. The White Noise struck the strangling kids, who were then remained at gunpoint by the PSFs.

The five of us all began to protect each other, but Liam practically threw himself at the crime. He used his ability to move a trailer in front of us, keeping the fireball away. Then he clung onto his arm and collapsed.

In my head, I was scolding myself for not being more help to them. But I am a Red... they are trying to fight against them, not beside them.

Suddenly, some kids fell to their knees, watching Clancy go by like he was some king.

King? His hypothetical ego was much higher than that.

A god? More like it.

And to think how I would have stayed by his side like that?

Looking at Clancy from this distance, I hoped and prayed to find some emotion. Some sanity. But there was nothing.

Zu held onto Ruby tightly, and Chubs was trying to support Liam and his body weight. I realized I had just been standing there helpless the entire time.  "Amara, take Zu." Ruby handed me the young girl's hand. "I'm going to try and stop him."

"NO! WAIT!" I screamed, clearly not thinking. I wasn't acting like this because I didn't want Ruby and Clancy to be alone, but I knew that if he had to listen to anybody's hurt in their voice, it be mine. "Ruby listen to me. I have known him longer than you have... let me talk to him... he wont hurt me."

That last time must have convinced her enough to let me go reason with him. She nodded her head and remained in her position. "I'll protect you from back here. I've got you."

"Thank you Ruby... for everything... and, I'm sorry for the way I've treated you sometimes." I admit before I lose the chance.

She smiles, which is my saving grace in these moments of hell on earth. "You had every reason to... now go."

I take in a deep breath and turn around, preparing myself mentally for what was to come.

I don't think there's ever been a point ever when I have walked with this much pride and confidence. Especially involving Clancy.

In a perfect, perfect world, I'd be walking like this on my wedding day. But this isn't that perfect, perfect world... and I am not getting married. It's never happening... ever.

And, believe it or not, my heart ached even more with that one single thought.

- - - - - 

A/N hi everyone! I wanted to tell you all that 'Seeing Red' is eligible for a Watty!!! Whether anything big happens or not, I just want to thank you all for reading this story. I did not think we would be at 500+ readers in just less then a month. To me, that's a lot and it means so much to me. In the end, we won no matter what because you all are so amazing <3 <3