Seeing Red: Not The End

| chapter 19 |

I woke up in a place that just felt new. Nothing else about it just... new. And different.

I didn't remember much of what happened or how I even got in this bed. There were curtains, a desk, and even portraits of presidents up on the walls.

Wait... presidents?

Oh hell... I think I know.

The door opened, and here entered Clancy with a bandage on the side of his face and forehead. The room was somewhat dark, the only source of light being from the window. Through the slightly opened curtains I can see the sky.

Rainy... and cloudy. It must be cold outside because it was cold in this room. The rain reminded me of when I was first brought to that horrible camp with my brother, Dean.

Dean... I wonder where he is now... if he's even still alive.

"Clancy, what have you done?" I first say, forcing the words out as I attempt to sit up.

"Shhh.... save your strength. You'll need it." He says, sitting at the edge of the bed where my knees are.

I had a chance to kick him, but I regret not taking it. I repeat myself, more pissed than when I said it the first time. "What have you done?"

Clancy sighs, looking out the window. "I have done what is right. I'm creating an army against the League. Its what my father would have wanted, princess."

That nickname... he's reaching for me again, trying to find whatever left of the old Amara there is. He cant find me... and he isn't even using his powers on me. This is just regular Clancy Gray hoping to see if his girlfriend will return to him like it used to be.

Girlfriend... ex-girlfriend? That's what I called myself just before I ran to save him from the helicopter before it exploded. I saved his life, like he saved mine all those years ago.

A life for a life... I guess.

"Where is everyone? Liam and Chubs, Ruby, Zu... where are they? Are they alright?" My voice is growing weak, but I try to remain strong.

Clancy sighs, rising to his feet and walking toward the window. The rain drops on the glass pane are very noticeable. I sit up some more to see soldiers standing on attention just outside.

"That I cannot answer because I don't know. But Amara, don't worry about them... they are not as strong and powerful as you and I. Together, we will make this world see things our way." He comes over to me, taking my bandaged hands in his. "We will make all psi see red."

I've always been seeing red... that's just how my life has been since I.A.A.N. Since I lost my brother, Dean... that's just been my life. When Clancy said it, it didn't make any sense. I couldn't tell if it was just a metaphor, or if he meant literally.

"Clancy, you brought those PSFs to East River... the only reason this is all happening is because of you. You brought us into this mess." I stand by my statement, keeping my flaming soul under control. I couldn't blow up on him yet...

"Yes but... you are-"

I interrupt. "I'm what, Clance? Strong? Powerful? You keep telling me that, and those things may be true, but here's the thing: I am not you. I am not a lying snake in the grass, waiting for my next prey. I am not Clancy Gray."

I wanted to keep ranting. I was hoping to find the right thing to say just to hurt him so he would let me go. Maybe he'd even kill me if it hurt him just enough. If I died standing by for what I believed to be right, then it would be the greatest adventure.

All he does in response is lean in quickly, his lips planting on mine. The kiss was calming, like the ending of a dark, terrifying storm. It was the rain to my fire...

When he leans away to catch his breath, I hear him whisper, "I love you my darling..."

Without thinking, I repeated his sinful, dangerous words. "I love you too Clancy Gray."

| end of book 1 |