Seeing Red: Mercy

| chapter 11 |

My world went still... the lights were off, and the outside world was dark. Slight rain hit the window, but it wasn't the only noise in the room.

The sounds of Clancy's heartbeat beating just normally was the best sound. My head laid upon his chest and his arms were around me, protecting me from everything.

At the end of the day, for love or for worse... I chose love. And if love is Clancy... I'll take it. All my thoughts about Liam were gone in the wind, but whenever I found myself thinking about him, I forced myself to let it go.

I felt guilty just thinking this way about Liam Stewart when it was clear he wanted Ruby... and I wanted Clancy. But the way Liam looks at me... like that day when I was walking out of the woods and he was the first one I saw... that moment? I swear, I felt a spark. An unfamiliar spark... and it felt unfamiliar because I am a Red.

I am fire.

I felt and heard Clancy sigh from beneath me, which then I made myself sit up. "Good morning darling..." Clancy says with a yawn.

I chuckled. "It's still dark out, babe... just go back to sleep." I laid my head down on the pillow next to him, feeling the coolness of the room on my exposed back.

The memory of last night replayed, but my senses were still a bit fuzzy. A part of me was fine and okay with what happened last night. But, the other part of me is mostly regret. Guilt. Was I ashamed for doing it last night with Clancy? Was it because I think I have some type of feeling toward Liam?

Ugh... this is too complicated and its too early to think this way.

I got up on my own eventually, giving up on trying to sleep in. I think the only way I could feel better about this would be if I saw Liam.

Actually, no... scratch that. Avoid Liam.

No, that wouldn't help either. Ugh... have mercy on me.

I threw on a pair of jeans and just an orange t-shirt; threw my hair up into a high ponytail and was about to walk out the door when Clancy calls for me. "Princess um... I forgot to give you something."

I turn around and look at him as he hands me something. It was small, and when I finally took a long look at it, it was a ring.

My ring... the one Clancy gave me a long time ago. He said it was a symbol of our love, and how no matter what he'd be there to protect me.

"Oh..." I began. "I must have forgotten it when I left or somethin." It sounded so casual when it fell from my lips, but to Clancy it was still hitting him. I saw the sun hide behind its clouds again in front of my own eyes. I leaned in to kiss his cheek and said, "It's okay Clance... I'm here now."

He smiles at me, gives me a hug, and then we both went on our day with what we were to do.

That was the first time something like this has happened to Clancy and I... and as much as I want to say that was the only time, little did I realize that this was only the beginning...