Seeing Red: Ruby Red Eyes

| chapter 5 |

When the day fell into night, and when the stars began twinkling in the sky, the monthly bonfire began. It was just basically a little party whenever, but to keep things under control, E.D.O. only has them once every month.

They're fun, not gonna lie. Those little parties/get-togethers help encourage all of us to be normal kids, even though we're not. Music and food and dancing... this was us living the good life. Clancy informed me that there was a chance that he would be a little late arriving, and since I already was looking my best, I made the decision to just show up without him. 

"Hey!" I see Chubs. "You're Amara, right? Clancy's girlfriend?"

I knew I was blushing slightly, even though that is what I am. "Yes I am lol..." There was some silence between us until I asked, "So, what's your ability?" Chubs eyes change from dark brown to bright green, which gives me the idea that he was a Green. Chubs then points to the kids he arrived with somewhere in the crowd. "You already know Ruby's an Orange, so Zu is a Yellow and Liam is a Blue."

Blue... and Red... make Purple... there are no Purple's that I'm aware of.

I nod in agreement to what Chubs was saying. Out of all of them, Ruby was the most dangerous. How crazy was it that a Green was standing next to a Red right now in these moments.

"What about you? I don't remember Clancy informing us what your color was." Chubs asks me. 

I had two options here... lie or tell the truth and risk them leaving or spreading rumours. Instead, I just said one word, "Red." There ya go...

Chubs is caught completely off guard when I say it. "R-Red?" I nod, trying to reassure him that I had everything under control. Chubs sighs longingly. "Red..." he mutters under his breath.

"Is there anything wrong with that?" I ask him after giving him a minute to process the breaking news.

"No no no no, of course not..." he pauses, and I know he's trying to figure out what to say next without messing up. "How does that work out with Clancy?"

"Clancy is cool with it... I mean, it was his father that got me out of the camp I was in and brought me in for testing. He didn't take my brother because he was a Yellow..." My voice trailed off. 

Chubs is kind of silent before asking, "How old was your brother?"

"His name was Dean... and he was 10 when our father turned us in. We were twins, so the fact that we don't have the same abilities, or one of us isn't dead is honestly surprising." At least I think he's not dead...

Chubs and I talked some more until he went away with Zu, and when I was leaving I saw Ruby with Liam, her arms around his waist. Her head was resting on his chest, and I felt a little bit of my heart getting pinched. 

But that was fine with me... because minutes later I was falling asleep in Clancy's arms, resting my head on top of his heart... listening to it beating all night.