Seeing Red: Falling Away

| chapter 18 |

Liam was shocked, "Ruby, what?"

Ruby is more focused on Chubs then on what she just stated. "You heard me." Her voice is serious and monotone. It frightened me just a little bit, for what she had just said less then a minute ago was directed to me.

Chubs was coughing, straining himself to speak. "N-No, Ruby l-l-listen..." He coughed again.

"No, Chubs. This is the right thing to do. I called the League and I know someone who will help us. Not like East River." She emphasized on East River, but it was mostly to me. I was the true representative of East River.

Clancy might have been leader and the face of the camp, but I was the heart. The heart beating strongly every day for the past 3 years. It was my veins running through it, providing help and guidance to those who needed it. But now, it was gone. Burned to ashes... even though it was not my fault.

"Wait, the League? As in the Children's League?" I couldn't help but ask Ruby.

"Yes. One of the women that works for them was able to help me escape Thurmond. She helped me once, she can do it again."

Liam speaks up, "Didn't you run away from them?"

I guess I never really understood how they all met each other, I only saw them at first arrival. I did, however, know about the Children's League. There have been some kids throughout the years who had escaped the League, or who had just escaped their camps who end up at East River. Clancy and I take them in, and we help them learn who they are and to not be afraid.

A lesson I had to teach myself at first.

"Doesn't matter. The point is I don't want someone like her to be around Chubs. She's been with Clancy this entire time. How did it not know this was going to happen?" Ruby is angry, and she emphasized on the word it harshly.

"Excuse me? It? This it has a goddamn name and if it wasn't for this it, your ass would be dead. So instead of being a bitch, be grateful. This it saved your life." I could feel the flames in my blood heating up. No one has ever treated me with so much disrespect in my life, and I was not going to let this brat be the one to change that.

"Ruby. Amara. Drop this now. Fighting will not help." Liam comes between us. He turns to me, "This is not what Dean would have wanted."

I snapped, the wind standing silent around us with the distant sound of fire snapping twigs. "You know nothing about Dean, and you know nothing about me."

"I know you're brave and righteous. I know you have a heart of fire, but a kind soul. I know you're hurt and lost, but you keep your head held high." His voice softens as he adds, "I know you love Clancy, but care about me the same."

My heart stopped. Was it obvious? I would have sucked up the drama and continued on with them, but looking at Ruby and remembering what happened with Clancy hit me again. I made my choice a long time ago... and here I am again.

I held my head high, hoping I had enough strength to keep it up, my pride along with it. "That's not who I am anymore." Then I got up and walked away from them, my eyes fixed on the heart of East River.

I never looked back... but I wish I did.

When I found myself back at East River, I saw Clancy with a PSF guard. My voice was hoarse, but shy. "Clance?"

He turns around to look upon me, but the gleam in his eyes was different. His eyes flickered to orange, and all I hear is, "It'll all be over soon... just listen to my voice."

His voice was soft and gentle... then I fell to the ground and the world went black.