Chapter 3

Y/N POV (17+ years ago)

"Tilt your head more to the left Number Eight." Dad said. I did as I was told and continued to fake smile. We had been in the same position for five minutes straight. My cheeks were starting to hurt from smiling for so long.

"That should do it." Dad said finally.

"Wait, shouldn't Vanya be in the picture. She is our sister and your daughter." I said.

"No, she isn't apart of the academy. She is ordinary as I hoped you remembered."

"But these are family pictu-"

"I do not want to hear it Number Eight. She is not to be in the picture." He said sternly.

I sighed. I looked at Vanya standing on the sidelines watching us with a saddened expression. I mouthed 'sorry' to her and looked back at the camera. I didn't smile. I just stared emotionless, into the lenses.

I heard about five or six clicks come from the camera. The photographer stood back up from his kneeling position. All of us relaxed our faces and slumped our shoulders.

Vanya walked back upstairs. I wish Dad could have at least a bit of sympathy, but he was a cold hearted person. I knew nothing was going to change unless Vanya magically gained powers. But I knew that wasn't going to happen.

I went up to room to clean. On my way there I passed by Vanya's room. She was playing her violin.

"That sounds amazing." I said.

"Thanks." she replied.

"I'm sorry you couldn't be in the picture."

"Why are you sorry, Dad's the one who won't let me do anything. You always try to stick up for me. Thank you for that by the way."

"I just wish he wouldn't be so heartless. You are his daughter. How could someone be so rude towards their own child."

"It's because I don't have powers. We aren't his real kids. I always wonder who my actual mom is."

"I used to wonder that. But then I remembered that they chose to give us up. They gave us to Dad. They must not care about us."

"I doubt that. They probably weren't in a good position to take care of a kid. I mean, all of us were kind of a surprise."

"Yeah, you're probably right. I just wish Dad would treat us like we're his kids. He's more of a coach than a Dad."

"To him we aren't his children." I turn around and see Five standing in the doorway. "We're just an experiment. A study. If our mothers had a regular pregnancy, he wouldn't have adopted us." he said.

"That's basically what it comes down to." Vanya said.

"At least we have Grace and Pogo. I'm happy to have them. Both of them have been better guardians than Dad. And Grace is a robot for crying out loud!" I said.

We sat in silence for a few seconds.

"I'm gonna go get something to eat. Wanna come?" I asked them.

"I'm good. I'm gonna practice more." Vanya said, picking up her violin.

"Sure." said Five.

When we got to the kitchen, I started making peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches and Five was pouring glasses of water. I put the food on plates and sat down at the table with my head resting in my hand.

We talked for a while about a bunch of different things.

"If you could travel to any time period, where would you go?" Five said as he popped a marshmallow into his mouth. We had finished our sandwiches and now we were just snacking on marshmallows.