Chapter 15 (Part Two)

Y/N POV

Hey my dudes!! So what your about to read was the craziest, most relieving, yet saddening days I have ever experienced. I'm not gonna do a long introduction like I did in the last chapter, because I didn't jump like forty years into the future. But I do want to tell you that I am positively sure that you shall give the biggest sigh of relief you have ever done. Just kidding, but that might be the case for some of you!

Okeeeeee now let's get onto the story telling.

Didn't I leave off on the part where I fell asleep looking at the stars, yada yada yada, all that cheesy, cringy stuff. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did. Okay, so this takes place the very next day. Sorry, I'll stop blabbering.

I awoke to dirt lightly hitting my face, but apparently just hard enough that it woke me up. The wind must have picked up for a second. My eyes were immediately met with the orangish-yellow hues in the sky. Must have been sorta early in the morning.

I looked to my left expecting to see a sleeping Five, but instead I saw his blanket folded neatly next to his pillow. He must have gone out to get food. At the same time that thought came to mind, my stomach let out a loud growl, to which I laughed because I have the maturity of a six year old.

Slowly, I stood up and leaned back to stretch. At the same moment I heard at least three popping noises. I often forget how old I am. It's moments like these that remind me that I am old enough to be a grandmother. Egh, I don't wanna think about that right now.

I stepped over to our food stash which was getting pretty low. That explains Five being gone, along with the wagon. My eyes narrowed as I tried to decide what to snack on out of the few options there were. "Guess it's gonna be the same as always." I said to myself and grabbed a bag of animal crackers.

At first glance, you would think that everything was damaged by the apocalypse. But if you look closely, there are lots of things that survived. When I spotted a box filled with snack bags of animal crackers, my eyes lit up and I snatched it within the blink of an eye. Five was excited too. As for Delores, we pretended that she didn't like animal crackers just to make things interesting in the very not-interesting environment we were stuck in. Now that I say that out loud, it sounds really sad. 

Plopping back down on the pile of blankets, I grabbed a book. The book was called "Flipped" and it was okay so far (I'm actually currently reading this book so why not throw it in there!) I mean, I was only a quarter of the way done with it, but I've learned to appreciate things more these past several years. Any chance I saw a book of any kind, I grabbed it. I wasn't much of a reader when we were at the Academy, but it's all I really got entertainment-wise now. But, I've thankfully learned to love reading which is a good thing.

I guess I'm somewhat of a reader now, which is honestly a good thing. You can get lost in another world. Be apart of another world. Considering the setting of my world, books helped a lot. They'll take you places you'll never go. It's nice to read books that took place in modern times with no magic or anything like that. They remind me of home. We've been gone for so long that I have just completely given up hope. It sounds depressing when I say that, but I guess it's not so bad. I've got all I really need anyway. I've got Five. And by losing hope that we will find our way home, I don't really have the stressful feeling I had before. I don't have the longing, saddening feeling that I had before when all I could focus on was wanting to get home.

Let's face it. I ain't getting out of here. Ever. But at least I've accepted it and I'm not really bothered by it. I'm not saying that to Five though. It will put him in a bad mood. I just feel bad because he's wasted a really, really long time on that stupid equation. Years. Decades! All of it for nothing. Absolutely nothing.