Chapter 7

^^my watercolor painting of Five

Y/N POV

We had gotten through chapter one, which was just like an introduction. But before you know it, we had finished chapter two, three, four, until we read the whole thing. We spent the rest of the day and all night devouring the book. By the end, we didn't know what to think.

"Wow," said Five with a saddened expression on his face as he closed the book.

"Yeah," I replied looking down. I brought my knees up to my chest and hugged them.

My mind wandered back to where the book mentioned Ben's death. It was horrible. While we read that part, we were so choked up. We could barely even read the sentences without letting out a sob.

A tear fell from my eye, hit my knee, and trailed down my leg. A waterfall started to flow, but I stayed silent. I just stared at my shoes. They were all dirty from walking around in rubble.

I could see Five looking at me out of the corner of my eye. I turned my head and laid it on my knees to where it was facing him. His eyes were watery as well.

Ben and I were somewhat close. He was loved by everyone. We would sometimes play pranks on others or eachother. Sometimes we would just laugh at the others.

"He didn't deserve that," I muttered.

"I know," Five replied with a sigh.

I held out my hand for him to take. He grabbed my shaky hand and traced shapes on the side of it with his thumb.

We just sat in silence. We lost everything. Our family, our home. We lost the world. Nothing was left.

Then it came to mind, unless we do something, we will just stay sad. Just stay unhappy until we finally grow old and die. I don't want to live life like this. I want to get back home. I want to find some place safe. Surely Five does too.

"We need to do something," I said breaking the silence.

"What do you mean?" Five questioned.

"Do we want to sit and dwell for the rest of our lives about how we lost everything, how we have nothing left. Or do you want to find what we lost and get back home. I know we don't know how to do that yet, but I want to try."

"You're right, as always," he said with a small chuckle.

"I don't care if it takes five years, ten years. I don't even care if it takes as long as we live to find a solution. We need to keep calculating the equations and looking for clues about this mess so we can prevent it from happening."

"Well, then I suggest we start now," he stood up and held out a hand to me. I took it and stood up, dusting the dirt of my shorts.

He walked over to the building and started writing and I looked for pieces of information that would be useful.

I searched thoroughly through the area we were in. I found an old newspaper in a burnt newspaper machine. If it was in a machine, it must have been a recent newspaper.

The paper was burnt up bad. I could barely read the name of it. Fortunately, right below the title was the date. I didn't know if it was the exact date when all this happened, but it was definitely close.

"Delores, I think we found a major clue," I said to the mannequin to my left.

_______

Vanya POV