Chapter 18

Y/N POV

"How am I involved with the Commission?"

A smirk etched onto the side of her mouth.

"Oh, how little you know."

I looked at Five with a confused look. He looked just as puzzled as me.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.

"What it means is that you weren't given the information we specifically told your caretaker to tell you."

"I know that." I replied, remembering when I found out the man I thought was my dad, wasn't.

"Well, let's start from the beginning," she said. "When you were born, your biological mother, like many, put you up for adoption. We heard about Hargreeves trying to adopt as many of the children as possible. We also found out about your powers. So, we sent one of our most loyal employees out to adopt you, for the Commission-"

"So my adoptive mother works here?" I cut her off.

"Oh no, no, no," she shook her head. "She retired long ago."

I nodded with disappointment.

"But, she was never really a mother to you. The organization mainly as a whole adopted you."

This made absolutely no sense. "Well then why was I ever apart of the Umbrella Academy?"

"Well, the organization did not know how to train you. We have trained many in combat; however, we did not know how to handle your powers. That's when we got a letter."

"From Dad," the pieces were starting to come together.

"That's correct. He offered to raise you along with seven other children. He was also to train you. To help you control your powers."

"So you guys wanted me to be apart of the academy then?"

She snorted. It actually made me jump. "Well you see, that's the part that Hargreeves didn't mention to us."

Moments of pure awkward silence went on for a few seconds. "Huh?" I finally blurted out.

She sighed in annoyance as if I was suppose to understand what she was trying to tell me. "Hargreeves planned on using you for his own bidding. He trained you, but not the way he promised. You were a pawn in his game."

I sat in, not shock for once, but disbelief. My face went blank. Still something didn't make sense. "But the academy's purpose was for good. We saved people. How is that bad?"

"That's not the bad part."

I was growing impatient. "Well then what is?" I shouted. "How do you expect me to understand everything when I haven't been told?"

"The bad part of all of this is what he never told you. He never told you about the Commission. He never told you that we are your family or that you had more potential than being in a rinky-dink organization."

"It was anything but rinky-dink. We were known around the world. Everyone loved us. I have no regrets of ever being apart of it. Yes, he was secretive, but he taught us to be great."

"The Commission is the biggest secret organization in the world. He lied to you. Don't you see? We are your family. He never loved you, or you, Five." She gestured to Five.

I tried to find words but they were no where in sight. Maybe she was right? I never had a good relationship with Dad anyway, but I still loved the academy and Luther, Diego, Allison, Klaus, Five, Ben, and Vanya. I'm still happy I was apart of the Umbrella Academy.