Ringo | I've Fallen

and I can't get up
fluff
**************
"Ritchie?" I turned around, hearing a loud thud where Ringo was standing.

We were standing on the street and my friend had come to start a conversation with me, which made me take all my attention away from the tough-looking boy behind me. And then he collapsed, just fell. Nothing more to it.

Ritchie and I had remained good friends after the lesson, and we hung out frequently. Just like that day.

Me and my friend quickly dragged him to the most trustworthy looking bystander who could drive him to the hospital. He was taken by a family friend of ours who immediately buckled Ringo into the passenger seat and drove off.

I was terribly worried, but my friend wasn't. "Do you want me to run and tell his folks?" She asked, trying to sound of sympathy. I quickly nodded and watched her sprint off. I wasn't even sure if she knew where he lived.

I bit my nails nearly to the cuticles as I sauntered nervously down the street. I had no idea why that just happened. He had talked about how sick he was as a kid, but didn't think anything would happen when he was older. Supposedly, it just did.

As I walked down the street, I passed a booth with a man selling flowers. I hesitated for a moment. Ritchie had mentioned flowers once, daisies I believe, but I couldn't remember the subject we were on. I bought a small bouquet of daisies and continued on my way.

As I arrived at the hospital, which took at least thirty minutes, I suddenly realised what I was doing. I didn't know what happened to Ringo, and a "stranger" had driven him here. Perhaps he wasn't even here, maybe he was at another hospital. But I made my way to the reception and asked for Richard Starkey. The lady nodded and said, "Family?" "Friend." I shortly replied. She examined me for a moment before pointing towards a long hallway. "Sure, a woman was just here as well, the mother I think. Go ahead, 263." She gave me a small smile as I turned and power walked down towards the hallway.

I turned my head in every direction looking for the number the lady had given me. 262... 263! My heart started beating even faster than it had previously. I was about to put my hand on the door handle when a doctor rushed out of it. He saw me and smiled. "He's alright." He bowed jokingly and gestured his arm to lead me in. I smiled a thank you and stepped into the white hospital room.

There laid a sleeping Ritchie in the hospital bed. He was accompanied by his mother who sat by his side, holding his hand. She murmured under her breath, "Oh, Richard. Not again, not again..." I felt so sorry for her. I walked up to the brown haired lady and put my hand on her shoulder. "Ms. Starkey?" She turned around and immediately took her eyes to the flowers in my hand. She gasped and grasped them out of my grip, throwing them straight in the bin beside her, pushing them as far down as she could.

"Who are you?" She asked quite angrily and stood up, examining me the way the lady in the reception had. "I'm y/n, ms." She glanced at me, giving me eyes telling me to continue. "Schoolmate." I nearly stuttered. She sighed and thought for a bit before she went over to the sink to wash her hands. "He just fainted. It happens from time to time. But I get worried sick each and every time." She laughed a little, trying to relieve herself.

"You brought him flowers, you must really care for him." I watched her strut back to me, a smile appearing on her face. I nodded quickly. "Speaking of flowers, sorry for that. Erm, he loves daisies, there just might be some leftover pollen on them. You never know." She sat down on the chair in the corner of the room and motioned for me to sit in the one next to hers.

"So, how'd you know my Ritchie?" She took a sip out of the glass of water that seemed to suddenly appear in her hand. I thought for a bit. "We're in the same class." I gulped a little, wondering if she was interrogating me. "How well do you know him, are you good friends?" Well, wouldn't you look at that. "Yes, Ms. Starkey, very good. I believe I know him quite well." I crossed my legs and fiddled with my hands. I did not like the feeling of being interviewed by my friend's mother.

I glanced over at Ritchie who was slightly twitching in the corners of his mouth. "Elsie to you." I turned around to the mother again. She was smirking down at her half empty glass. I grinned. I felt relieved.

Just as Elsie had finished her water, Ritchie erupted out of his unconsciousness. She jumped and walked over to him. She sat down on the stool that was beside the bed and waited patiently for action. Instead of hearing "where am I?" or "what happened?", I heard, "Hi, mum. I'm alright, let's just go home." in a raspy, 'I just woke up' voice. I was quite surprised at his words, but understood. He had been here many times before and already knew that all was perfectly fine. Elsie shook her head. "No, just rest, you. I'll call your father." She stood up and stepped out of the room. Ritchie sighed and grunted as he bent his head back into the pillow.

It wasn't before I had stood up and gone a few steps towards him that Ringo noticed I was there. "Y-y/n!" He tried to sit up, but I rushed to his side and pushed down his chest. "Ritchie. Rest." I said determined, crossing my arms and sitting down on the edge of the bed. Even after calling him that for years, he still lightly blushed whenever I addressed him as 'Ritchie'. I grinned and took his hand. "I'm alright, y/n." He looked me in the eyes. "I know, but I would never let you challenge your mother."

He chuckled and let his stare gaze over my lips. "How do you know?" I asked him, interrupting his daydreaming. He looked at me confused. "-that you're alright." "Gotten used to the feeling." He let his eyes wander again. I could tell what he wanted to do, so I let him. I leaned down and gave him a slow kiss. It lasted only a few, loving seconds. My hair brushed over his face as I raised my head and smiled down at him. He could only stare at me with adoring eyes. I giggled and brushed my hair away as I sat up again.

"So, it's all an image?" I asked him. He looked at me confused again. I nodded my head towards his leather jacket hanging by the wall. He turned his gaze back to me and chuckled. "Outside you're a tough, Elvis-looking tiger, but inside you're a kind, little bear who's in the hospital every other week." He smirked, agreeing with my words. "Suppose it is." He sighed. "I just want to look like I can beat someone faceless, when I could practically do it to me self." I giggled.

"Alright, your father will come drive us home soon." Elsie came suddenly into the room. I let go of Ritchie's hand, stood up and turned towards the woman in the door. She grinned as she saw my blood red face. "I'd better be going, then." I nearly whispered. I slowly made my way to the hallway. As the door was closing behind me I could hear Elsie chuckling and telling her son, "Keep that one."

***************
Yes, yes, yes, I know the ending is short lived and quite unsatisfying. I'm sorry, it's late, I'm tired.

And late happy birthday to late Johnny Cash💛

Suggestion by @marmaladeskies67

And I am well aware that there is a photo, or several photos, of Ringo in a hospital bed, but I just cannot find it.