The Line between Respectful and Stupid - Pt. 2/5

2. Safe and sound

SHIELD's idea of a safe house was very different from yours.

For one, you didn't expect a safe house to look so homey and romantic. You suspected you'd learn better once you'd be inside, but when Captain Rogers parked in front of a nice wood-faced cabin in the middle of nowhere (seriously, you had almost missed the turn he had oh so confidently took, blame it on the blood loss), you were seventy percent sure he had made a mistake and now wanted to ask for directions.

"Alright, let's get inside. There should be medical supplies, food, anything we could need," he announced, getting out of the car, circling the vehicle and opening your door before you could win the war with the door handle. "Told you to keep the pressure."

"Sorry, Sir," you shot back automatically, not sure what you were apologizing for. It was just the tone he said it in, like a disappointed parent or something.

You followed him to the door as he knocked four times next to the doorframe; one of the wooden desks moved up, nearly making you jump. It revealed a panel with a keyboard and you quickly looked away as Captain Rogers entered the right combination. Now this felt more like SHIELD and less like a vacation residence.

"Shall we?"

This time you actually did jump, quickly following him inside. You passed the welcoming committee in a form of the hangers, stepping inside what seemed to be a common living room. And wow, SHIELD spared no expense on its safe houses.

The room was spacious, wood-faced as well, fluffy carpet in the middle, creating a pad under a coffee table, bordered by an elegant seaweed sofa and two armchairs in the same colour. The thing was, there was no fabulous view on a TV. There was a fireplace instead.

"Holy shit," you breathed out, not quite realizing you had stopped dead in your tracks so you could blatantly stare.

"Yeah. I know. Tony likes to have his luxury. Sit on the couch?" his voice slowly trailed off as he disappeared god knew where.

You eyed the couch warily, not sure you should be getting near that fancy thing. You were bleeding, for god's sake and the thing looked like it cost a shit-ton of money.

Also, did he just say 'Tony'? As in... that Tony?

Captain Rogers reappeared with a frown on his face and an impressive box with medical supplies in his hands.

"Something wrong with the couch?"

"Did you just say 'Tony'?"

"Yes. Now would you sit down?" he challenged you and really, who were you to oppose Captain America? If he was telling you to sit down and ruin Tony freakin' Stark's property, who were you to protest? You shuffled towards the sofa, seating yourself heavily.

You winced when your arm throbbed with the ungraceful landing.

Your commander placed the first aid kid on the table, pulling an armchair to sit opposite and sort of side-by-side with you. You watched his hands open the box as if you were hypnotized, accepting the bottle of painkillers with his firm 'two pills', swallowing the dose and ignoring the bloody taste which they took after your hand.

Now what? Was he going to thread the needle for you as well?

You finally found the courage to speak again, self-conscious at the display of care. This wasn't right. You were supposed to be doing these things. Sure, you were a bit indisposed, but still. It was not common for a commanding officer to treat baby agents in kinder gloves.