Nothing but the Truth - Pt.2/8

2. The Arrangement

'Because we need your help.'

You repeated the words in your head; once, twice... your gaze flickered between the photos and the pair of Avengers, landing on Steve then. You repeated the whole process.

Stark's expression screamed impatience, Romanoff's challenge and Steve's was completely unreadable except for his eyes which gave away how the wheels in his head were turning as much as the ones in yours.

You looked at the hologram again.

"...I don't follow," you said finally, earning an annoyed eyeroll from the billionaire.

"Cute," he commented and you wondered whether he meant 'stupid', 'innocent' or... well, 'cute'.

"Let me explain," Natasha interrupted your musing. "There's a streak of missing couples for the past month – ten people so far. It's too much. And the last couple was too high-profile for Ross not to shove it our way."

Your heart clenched, face twisting in sorrow. Ten people missing. They were pairs indeed as you had thought. Most of them were rather young, but there was also a couple of seniors, sticking out. What could have happened? Were Tony and Natasha trying to tell you that someone... hurt them?

That was surely regrettable, but what did it have to do with you and the tabloids blowing up one lunch date to proportion?

"So," you hesitated, once more searching support with Steve; his expression was slightly irritated now and you felt your gut twist as if in dark promotion. "You want me... – or us – to do... what exactly?"

"Well you and Captain Virtue over here could actually keep pretending to be a couple-" You could do WHAT. "-and if we luck out, you'll lead us right to-"

The sudden bang that rattled the table you were sitting at startled you enough to make you jump.

"Absolutely not!" Steve's voice protested loudly and you instantly knew that the conclusion you came to was right.

They wanted... they wanted you-

"You want us to be the bait," you voiced your thoughts, sounding as much in disbelief as you were.

There might have been a hint of hurt at the instant dismissal of the idea from Steve's side. It shouldn't have hurt you that he hated the idea of dating you – fake or not –, you were painfully aware of how much out of your league he was after all, but it did.

Of course, you were setting aside the fact that they were suggesting for you to play bait for a potential serial kidnapper – or worse, a serial killer. But hey, you would have been in Captain America's company, what safer place on Earth there was?

"Kinda yeah," Tony confirmed, one corner of his lips quirking as he noticed that you were... ugh, considering it.

Except there were two major hiccups; one, Steve was apparently very much against it, which, again, ouch, and second... well.

"I'm sorry, but who would be dumb enough to try to kidnap Captain America?" you questioned silently, earning two raised eyebrows and one frown from the man in question. He seemed... angry with you? You sunk further into your seat.

"That's your issue with this? Not the fake dating? Watch out, Cap, you might have an admirer..."

Your face felt hot for the hundredth time in the past 24 hours.

"Shut up, Tony," Steve hissed, shifting his gaze to him again. "Just let her be. This is out of question. I can't believe you're even considering it-"